Marshall A Lewis's Reviews > Poems

Poems by C.S. Lewis

liked it

I was unaware until this past year that Lewis has written poetry and unaware until I'd read the introduction to this book that Lewis wanted to be remembered predominantly as a poet. Having read his poetry, I unfortunately will not be fulfilling that wish. I have read most of Lewis' fiction and a number of his non-fiction apologetical and philosophical works and I'm convinced there are two things Lewis succeeds at above all else. In his fiction I am most impressed with his descriptions of characters' first impressions of the divine, or of those who have come in contact with the divine and seem to have rubbed off some of their glory in a shining-faced-Moses-fresh-from-the-mountain sort of way. If that was the focus of even a minority of Lewis' poetry I would highly recommend those poems far and wide. Unfortunately, I believe it to be limited to his fiction. Secondly, Lewis is a master of communicating philosophically rich theology in 'layman's terms' with wonderful metaphors in his non-fiction. And this seems to carry over into much of his poetry, but because of the restrictions he chooses to shape his poetry, sometimes it just feels to me like oddly apologetic poetry, and sometimes it feels like I'm reading a segment of mere Christianity, but it's rhyming so it throws me off. Either way, Lewis is still a masterful wordsmith, so his poetry is elegant and sometimes comical, but never overwhelming (in both senses).

My favourite poems from this collection were:

The prodigality of firdausi
The landing
Donkeys' delight
The country of the blind
On being human
The Adam at night
An expostulation
After Aristotle
Angel's Song
5 Sonnets

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Poems.

February 20, 2019 – Shelved