Bruce Baugh's Reviews > Something Borrowed, Something Blood-Soaked

Something Borrowed, Something Blood-Soaked by Christa Carmen

M 50x66

Something Borrowed, Something Blood-Soaked is the first collection from Christa Carmen, whom I'd heard of but hadn't read. What really strikes me about this volume is how much the stories aren't like each other - Carmen is trying lots of things, looking in lots of directions, approaching many subjects in many different ways. I like that!

Some of these stories are intensely supernatural, while others are starkly naturalistic. Some are thick with well-done symbolism, while others are straightforward narratives presenting their events. One, "The Girl Who Loved Bruce Campbell", is downright funny. Some spell out the horrors confronting their protagonists, while others are compact and deeply allusive. I finished the volume feeling that I don't yet have a good handle on what to expect from "a Christa Carmen story", except that I'm likely to like it a lot. About three stories suggest connections between them, while most stand thoroughly alone.

I do have a feeling that it's going to be really interesting to look back on this, say, ten years from now, to see what's foreshadowed in it. In the meantime, very much recommended.

One technical note: the Kindle version of this has the whole thing in boldface. I reported it, and it's not a big problem, and I imagine it'll get fixed in due season, but if you check it out, no, it's not a problem on your end, as nearly as I know.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Borrowed, Something Blood-Soaked.

February 20, 2019 – Started Reading