Rachel's Reviews > Grave Mercy

Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers

Feb 04, 2012

bookshelves: arc

Ismae Rienne never imagined an existence outside the dark, pain-filled and hopeless one the man she called her father created. Forced to marry the local pig farmer, she at least hoped to find in him the kindness she had never experienced. But it was not to be.

So when the convent of St. Mortain welcomed her, Ismae never thought of saying no. Even if she had to abide by their rules. And even if it meant she would be beholden to the god they revered.

A god who some believed to be only a saint. A god who dictated the convent’s every decision. A god who sought vengeance against those who had done wrong. And a god who demanded of his daughters the retribution he sought to enforce.

The very same god purported to be her father. And the god who was in fact Death.

After years of training to be Death’s assassin, armed only with the skills she learned at the convent and her innate ability to detect poisons, Ismae set out with the directive to carry out her god’s wishes.

Desperately wanting to succeed, never anticipating failure, Ismae was quick to master her abilities and to act without question. But when not everything turned out to be as black and white as she once thought, meting out punishments without reservation meant risking herself, her humanity and even her heart.

***

Grave Mercy is an epic tale of deceit, betrayal, mystery, suspense, action, adventure and love. The author’s rich and beautifully descriptive writing sets the stage for a story that is equally as textured, layered and compelling. The result is lush, magical and utterly riveting and the start to a new series that will be absolutely unforgettable.

Strong female characters, exceptional abilities and deadly missions combine with a devious, underhanded, plotting and scheming nobility to create something rather unique. And with a historical setting that weaves in elements of fiction and fantasy, Grave Mercy will enchant readers and transport them to this other time and place.

To a world where the gods of days of old still have power. To a world where girls are trained to serve, to fight, to carry out their deadliest of wishes. To a world where being in power by no means guarantees safety. Even for the most honorable of rulers. Or the youngest.

As Ismae Rienne learns the truth about who she is and what her purpose is within the confines of the convent of St. Mortain, she begins to develop into someone strong and deadly. Someone more than capable of carrying out Death’s vengeful plans.

But when her instructions leave her with questions and doubts about what she’s done and what she’s supposed to do, she must decide whether she can live with the consequences of either questioning her orders or following them blindly.

One means turning her back on the only home and family she knows. The other means ignoring her heart and what she feels to be right. Both require a steep price to be paid. Neither are likely to end happily.

Full of twists and turns, tension and nail-biting suspense, and a mystery that will keep readers guessing as to who is really involved in the deadly plots afoot in Brittany and whether Ismae will be the Duchess’ savior or her downfall, Grave Mercy will entice. It will engage. It will enthrall. And it won’t let go.

Author Robin LaFevers has done a remarkable job of bewitching readers with her new historical fantasy novel. This first book in the His Fair Assassin series more than introduces a character and world to its readers. It submerges them in the character’s life and old world setting, creating an unbreakable connection for the entire read.

At well over five hundred pages, the story flies, easily captivating readers with the author’s ability to paint a picture with her words and by the the exciting tale this story tells. From the political maneuvering, to the assassination attempts, to a treachery so deep that no one is above suspicion, to one character’s heartbreaking journey through this danger-filled landscape, Grave Mercy is an absolutely unputdownable must read first book in the series.

On a personal note:

When I first saw the cover for Grave Mercy I thought it was simply a historical fiction novel. What I missed was the crossbow.

My curiosity was most definitely piqued. And even though I was intrigued by the cover and the book’s description, I did not expect to be swept away by this story. But I was. Grave Mercy was so completely enchanting and captivating and seductive that I found myself lost in this story set in an era long gone by.

I was completely transported into this world of Dukes and Duchesses, Barons and Viscounts. I was transfixed by the gamesmanship, betrayals, deceit and mystery. And I fell in love with the characters.

Ismae Rienne was immediately lovable and sympathetic. The story, told in the first person from her point of view, made it so easy to connect with her. Even with the historical setting and the slight differences in the language of the time, she shined.

She was kind and brave and smart and humble and grew to be someone who was absolutely deadly. But she had her own mind, she was willing to take risks to get to the truth, and she had a heart. And while she may have been afraid to succumb to her feelings at first, she wasn’t closed off to doing so.

And Gavriel Duval was her perfect match. Witty, charming, clever, strong and equally as brave, he complemented her so totally that I couldn’t help but root for them from the getgo. They most definitely had chemistry and I spent much of the read wishing for their happy ending.

But it wasn’t just the two main characters that gave this story its allure. With a great mix of incredibly likable and utterly vile characters and those that fell somewhere in between, I was totally hooked. I wanted to see those evil characters get what they deserved and for good to win out in the end.

Of course, figuring out who was good and who was evil wasn’t always easy. I wasn’t completely sure who to trust – I’m still not sure about certain characters – which made the betrayal and intrigue and mystery that much more tantalizing and this story more spellbinding.

I’m just glad that certain events went down as they did. I just wish others didn’t. Because the way some things happened did break my heart just a little bit. And while I did not expect to tear up in a story about Death’s Assassins, I did.

And while I absolutely loved the characters, oh my gosh the writing. It was gorgeous. Absolutely beautifully, stunningly gorgeous. From the first sentence I was ensnared. The author painted such a vivid and beautiful and at times dark picture of her world.

But I was right there. In the middle of it all. With Ismae. With Duval. And I was so caught up in the story and the writing that I had no clue it was over five hundred pages long. It was epic. But the story just flew by. And at its end I was shocked and surprised because I wanted more.

And so now I have to wait. For a story I’m told will be from a different character’s perspective. To return to a world that felt very real, that the author brought to life so incredibly well, and that kept me so thoroughly engaged that I was sad to return to the here and now.

So, yes, I love this epic story that makes me long to include the term “mayhap” in my everyday speech. And, yes, I may be just slightly in love with Duval and Beast. And, yes, I absolutely adore Ismae and Anne. And most definitely yes, I can’t wait for the next book to come out so I can find out more about Sybella and return to this period in time which mixes reality with fantasy and luxury and privilege with deception and death.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grave Mercy.

February 4, 2012 – Shelved