bsc's Reviews > Ghostwritten

Ghostwritten by David Mitchell

Jul 14, 2008

bookshelves: favorites, fiction, read-2009

Mitchell really surprised me with this one. This being his first novel, I had lower expectations than his other novels. However, this may be the best of the bunch.

I love how Mitchell weaves in these small science fiction elements without making it SF. I believe I read that he lists Le Guin as one of his early influences and it shows. However, it is just one of the small things that makes this book great. If you loved Cloud Atlas, you will love this one, and vice-versa.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghostwritten.

July 14, 2008 – Shelved
April 13, 2009 – Shelved as: favorites
April 13, 2009 – Shelved as: fiction
April 13, 2009 – Shelved as: read-2009
April 13, 2009 – Finished Reading

Brad I had a similar experience with the surprise that is Ghostwritten. I liked it very much.

message 2: by bsc (new) - rated it 5 stars

bsc Have you read his other stuff? Cloud Atlas and Black Swan Green are two of my favorite books. Can't wait for his new one this year.

Brad I've read Cloud Atlas and number 9 dream. Loved them both. But Black Swan Green has been sitting on my bedside table taunting me since it came out. I don't know why I haven't been able to overcome my odd fear of it, but I will. I didn't know he had a new one coming, but I figured it must be coming sooner rather than later by now. Do you know the title yet?

message 4: by bsc (new) - rated it 5 stars

bsc No, I have only seen it referred to as Untitled De-jima Novel. There's a bit of info on his wikipedia page.

Brad I'll go have a peek. Thanks for the tip, Ben.