Linda Martin's Reviews > Journal Bliss: Creative Prompts to Unleash Your Inner Eccentric

Journal Bliss by Violette

bookshelves: 2019, art, creativity

I love this book! It is so bright and colorful and pretty... and I'm honored to have these samples of Violette's artwork in my home. I noticed this is the only book Violette has listed at Amazon - and kind of wish there were more Violette books as this one is a feast for the eyes and I'd be likely to buy another if one existed. Maybe just a book full of journal art, instead of a how-to book?

This is a beginner's how-to for mixed media journaling. I'll bet this has been a sourcebook for many other mixed media artists over the ten years since publication. This year I decided to read one art book each month, but this month (February) I finished the first book and then found this one, and finished it too, reading it cover to cover. I probably won't copy any of Violette's art but will try some of her techniques and journaling suggestions, and let it seep slowly in as an artistic influence for my own artwork.

There are six chapters teaching basic mixed media skills, for lettering, borders, doodling, backgrounds, envelope art and image transfers. At the back there's a section of journaling ideas, like "The Last Day on Earth" prompt which she suggests we do every year.

I noticed one reviewer here on Goodreads said the book was "too new agey" and I have to say, as a born again Christian former new agey kind of person, there's not too much new agey stuff here for me, though I do tend to shy away from new agey stuff these days. There's a page about meditation, and yes, Violette has a few new agey ideas to share, but they didn't make me feel uncomfortable in any way. Besides, I wasn't reading to evaluate her spiritual-religious beliefs. I was reading because I admire her artwork!

Yes, the book is a quick read and light on written content, but not as light as the other art book I read this month, Folk Art Fusion, by Heather Galler. But let's face it, I don't read art books to get an in-depth written discussion of art making techniques. I read them to be inspired to create, to see what art supplies other artists find valuable, and to learn new techniques and get ideas for my own artwork. The pages full of art are just as valuable, if not more so, because they show me what Violette was creating. Without words, they teach me so much.

Anyhow, wonderful book, and truly a forerunner to so many others in the mixed media art field. Violette's life looks like a fairy tale come true with all her pretty paints, and the purple cottage, and her audacious Glitter Girl van. Well done, Violette!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Journal Bliss.

February 18, 2019 – Started Reading
February 18, 2019 – Shelved
February 23, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019
February 23, 2019 – Shelved as: art
February 23, 2019 – Shelved as: creativity
February 23, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Linda Martin So colorful and pretty - I love this artist's work.