Karen's Reviews > Darius the Great Is Not Okay

Darius the Great Is Not Okay by Adib Khorram

bookshelves: audio, library, read-2019, ya, read-feb-2019

This was such a gentle, sweet story about a lot of things - yet nothing in particular.

Darius has, and is being treated for, depression. Most of the book shows him struggling with feeling different from other students (being bullied), his relationship with his father - who also has depression and visiting Iran and learning more about his Persian family/history.

The Iranian backdrop and interaction with his family is so well done that you just sink into it and feel like you are with Darius wherever he visits. Things don't always go well but there are no big family blowouts or over the top dramatics. I really enjoyed how the story just unravels at the pace it needed.

My one big nitpick with this book though is the repetition of certain phrases. Darius also uses a lot of Star Trek references - which add a fun, relatable vibe but after hearing - the right social cues, him using name the brand of his backpack every single time he picked it up and other things like that - it grated. I'm not sure if that was because I was listening on audio or not. Although I will say I adored Michael Levi Harris's narration. His gentle voice seemed perfect for Darius's confused but gentle soul.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darius the Great Is Not Okay.

February 18, 2019 – Started Reading