Mark Baer's Reviews > Heartificial Empathy: Putting Heart into Business and Artificial Intelligence

Heartificial Empathy by Minter Dial

I learned about this wonderful book when its author, Minter Dial, tagged me on Twitter with the following Tweet: "I really enjoyed your article 'Empathy toward others is a precondition to an ethical life.' I referenced it in my new book Heartifical Empathy: Putting Heart into Business and Artificial Intelligence. Cheers and Merry Christmas from London."

Since Minter's book is about empathy, I believe it's essential for people to know Minter's level of understanding of the skill of empathy. I'm therefore sharing information on my understanding of the skill of empathy to lend credibility to my review.

The article Minter referenced in his Tweet was a article of mine published on my Empathy and Relationships blog on Psychology Today. Not only did the editor of Psychology Today title my blog Empathy and Relationships: Fostering Genuine Open-Mindedness, but after I read an article critical of empathy that was published by the New York Times, I published an article titled Beware of Criticizing Concepts You Don’t Fully Understand.” Psychology Today shared that article on Twitter with the following comment: “Empathy is often misunderstood, yet it’s one of the most important skills you can practice.”

When people publish material about empathy based upon a misunderstanding of such an important skill, it isn't helpful and is actually harmful, in my opinion.

After reading the book, it is clear to me that Minter has an excellent understanding of the skill of empathy, how it works, why it’s important, what’s necessary to develop and foster it, and what impedes it.

In Heartificial Empathy, Minter said, “An empathic person will be a better leader, innovator, marketer and family member. It is because empathy will be the best antidote for the evil forces trying to tear many elements of our society apart.”

I couldn’t agree more.

In a word, empathy is about understanding. Minter expressed that by saying, “Empathy is about understanding the other.”

Heartificial Empathy is an easy to read, thoughtful and thought-provoking book about “one of the most important skills you can practice” written by an author with an outstanding understanding of this “often misunderstood” skill.

While this book was written for a particular demographic, as is evident from full title of the book itself, I believe that anyone interested in becoming “a better leader, innovator, marketer and family member” would benefit from reading it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heartificial Empathy.

Finished Reading