Lizzy's Reviews > Bitter Greens

Feb 03, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: arc, on-my-real-bookshelf
Read in February, 2012

I'll start by saying, Yes I would recommend you read this book. Forsyths telling of Rapunzel is beautiful, you cannot help but feel heart broken for the young Marghuerita. Her tale about the witch, Selena, is also masterfully written, giving the character more depth than you could think possible.
I believe the issue of this novel lay with Charlotte-Rose. She is the protagonist of the tale, and we spend most of our time following her story. While I find her story interesting, I don't think it's as well written as the rest of the book. In these chapters, it felt to me as if Forsyth had decided to add every bit of information that took place in seventeenth century France into this novel. The devil is in the detail, and in this case I felt it was too much detail.
These chapters really just slowed the whole thing down, and more often than not the only times I could put the book down were during these chapters.
I'd still recomend it, as Forsyth has really done a fantastic job on the tale of Rapunzel.
Overall 3.5/5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bitter Greens.

05/12/2016 marked as: read