Lin's Reviews > Fairest

Fairest by Gail Carson Levine

Feb 03, 2012

liked it

Full disclosure: I didn't finish this. Not because I found it unbearable, just because my interest waned. I might finish it some day, but I did get far enough through it to give it a decent review, I think.

I found this tough to read in a lot of ways. And it's a shame, because a ton of elements are really interesting on their own. I like the singing culture, I like the heroine's power, and I'm all for creating female protagonists who aren't beautiful or slim. All of those things, plus Levine's simple and pretty prose, are all major pluses of the novel!

But for the love of crow, the heroine is really hard to like. I can totally get behind vulnerable heroines, scared heroines, shy heroines, self-conscious heroines, heroines who feel ugly, heroines with low self-confidence, etc. But Aza is just... kind of a drag. She feels so, so sorry for herself, that most of her narration is sort of... whiny? I can understand it, and I can relate to her, but lord, I don't want to! She feels like me at my worst, and not in a particularly challenging or interesting way.

I'm sure that she chins up a bit as the book concludes. I'm sure she marries a prince. But I just couldn't find the motivation to read that far. One day, maybe! For now it's a three-star book for me, and I'd really be more comfortable with two and a half. Goodreads, we need half-stars please!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fairest.