Brenda's Reviews > The Postmistress

The Postmistress by Alison  Stuart

bookshelves: 2019-release, aussie-authors, historical-fiction, arc, net-galley, 5000-2019, own-read, read-on-kindle

Adelaide and her friend Netty had arrived in Australia from England, and after working for a short time in Melbourne, moved to Maiden’s Creek where Adelaide took up the position of postmistress. Her young son Danny was the light of her life, and the three of them settled in well. It was 1871 and the small goldmining town housed some rough and ready folks, but Adelaide was a strong woman and determined to forge a future.

Caleb Hunt was recently arrived from the United States and the war had left scarring in his heart. His arrival in Maiden’s Creek after winning a claim at two-up was the beginning of a harsh lifestyle, but things changed when there was an accident at the local mine. The unforgiving Australian bush which surrounded the town was strange to Caleb, but he gradually came to love the small community and its people.

Little did Adelaide know things would change for her and Danny, and soon. Her past was about to catch up with her…

The Postmistress by Aussie author Alison Stuart is the first of her writing which is set in Australia, and I loved it. Her research shines through, and her words at the end telling of the town of Maiden’s Creek and the inspiration for it, was really interesting. Adelaide is a strong character and Netty made me smile. The Postmistress is a thoroughly enjoyable historical fiction novel - with a gentle romance - which I have no hesitation in recommending.

With thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for my digital ARC to read in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Postmistress.

February 17, 2019 – Shelved
June 13, 2019 – Shelved as: 5000-2019
June 13, 2019 – Shelved as: own-read
June 13, 2019 – Shelved as: read-on-kindle
June 14, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Carolyn Glad you enjoyed this Brenda. I hope Alison Stuart writes more books set in Australia - she really captured the time and the landscape so well.

Brenda I'm pretty sure she will Carolyn :) Did you know she's written one which is the start of a new series, due for release in August under a slightly different name? Singapore Sapphire (Harriet Gordon Mystery #1) by A.M. Stuart Singapore Sapphire by A.M. Stuart

message 3: by PamG (new) - added it

PamG Great review! This one is on my TBR list.

Brenda Thanks Pam :)

message 5: by Libby (new)

Libby Lovely review Brenda!

Brenda Thanks Libby - thoroughly enjoyed it :)