Debra's Reviews > The Last Letter

The Last Letter by Rebecca Yarros

bookshelves: netgalley

Wear waterproof mascara while reading this book. Seriously, waterproof mascara and tissues. If you need a good cry, read this book. Anyone remember seeing Tammy Taye Bakker cry with mascara running down her face on TV? That was pretty much me while reading this book. Cry-a-rama occurred at my house today.

So yeah, I bawled. I also really enjoyed this book that ripped my heart out. Plus, this was a romance book folks. Geeze Louise is all I can say. This one had heart and soul. The long and short of it is that Ryan and Chaos (Beckett) are best friends serving in the military. Ryan decided to have Beckett write to his sister Ella (and vice versa) as Beckett did not have any family and received no letters. So, a pen pal relationship began. Beckett is used to being alone but loves receiving the letters as he learns that being connected to another person is not a bad thing. That it is possible to connect with someone he has never met.

Ella is a single mother to twins who is devastated when her daughter is diagnosed with Cancer. She is trying to hold it all together, take care of her children, fight with insurance, run a business and write to Chaos (Beckett). She is used to doing everything on her own, but maybe this time, she might need someone to hold her up and lessen her burden.

WOWZA! Is all I can say. This book is told in the present and each chapter also has a letter either written to Chaos from Ella or to Ella from Chaos. When Beckett shows up at her door, the reader knows he is Chaos, but Ella does not. As I stated this is a romance, but it is also so much more.

I inhaled this book and I am so glad I did not mull over too many reviews before reading this. The reviews are mixed, and I get it. This is an emotional book which leaves the reader wondering, just how much more can one person take? The main characters in this book are extremely like-able and I rooted for every single one. Which is what pulls on the heartstrings during this book. Their actions and reactions felt real and believable. Ella and Beckett are both good people, the kids are adorable and Havoc, the retired Military dog could warm anyone's heart. Yarros knows how to write characters that will steal the readers heart, right before she rips it out, then places it back in your chest.

The writing was also wonderful and pulled me into this story and deposited me in Telluride next to the lake. So, I mentioned the crying, but it's not all sad. There are happy moments and fun moments. Moments I wanted to cheer with the characters and moments I was happy that good things were finally happening. But this book is about the good times and the love that can come out of heartache. It is about loss, family, love, falling in love, responsibility, grief, heartache and hope. The Author tackles may heavy subjects in this book with grace. This is a gritty, soft, warm, emotional, devastating, sad, hopeful, heartbreaking, sweet and riveting book. I could not put this book down.

Loved this book. I have a feeling I will be thinking about this book for some time. Romance/women's fiction/cry fest...call it what you want. I thought it was fantastic and boy did it pull at my heartstrings.

Thank you to Entangled Publishing, LLC and NetGalley who provided me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All the thoughts and opinions are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Letter.

February 17, 2019 – Started Reading
February 17, 2019 – Shelved
February 17, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
February 17, 2019 – Shelved as: netgalley
February 20, 2019 –
February 22, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)

message 1: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris Mara Wow! That is one awesome review, Debra. I will plan on reading this one with tissues nearby.

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie Everybody needs a good cry-a-rama story sometimes. Wonderful, heartfelt review, Debra!! 😊

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Sounds wonderful! Fabulous review Debra! I’ll have the Kleenex ready if I read this💙

message 4: by KAS (new)

KAS Okay, will need to head to the drug store for waterproof mascara ;) I am so excited to read this one, Debra, and loved your review!! 😊

Kim ~ Traveling Sister Loved your review! You had me laughing at the Tammy Bakker reference though! Sounds like a great read.

message 6: by JV (new) - added it

JV A heart-stirring and beautiful review, Debra! Loved it! 🥰

message 7: by Diane (new)

Diane Enjoyable review, Debra

message 8: by Felicia (new)

Felicia I love this review, Debra 😂

Debra Chris wrote: "Wow! That is one awesome review, Debra. I will plan on reading this one with tissues nearby."

Thank you Chris! This was a very emotional read!

Debra Julie wrote: "Everybody needs a good cry-a-rama story sometimes. Wonderful, heartfelt review, Debra!! 😊"

Thank you Julie!

Debra Lindsay - Traveling Sister wrote: "Sounds wonderful! Fabulous review Debra! I’ll have the Kleenex ready if I read this💙"

Thank you Lindsay! Definitely be reading with the kleenex. you don't want to be scrambling like me.

Debra KAS wrote: "Okay, will need to head to the drug store for waterproof mascara ;) I am so excited to read this one, Debra, and loved your review!! 😊"

Thank you KAS! Enjoy!

Debra Kim ~ Traveling Sister wrote: "Loved your review! You had me laughing at the Tammy Bakker reference though! Sounds like a great read."

Thank you Kim! Yep, I was crying like Tammy Faye on Sunday Morning.

Debra JV wrote: "A heart-stirring and beautiful review, Debra! Loved it! 🥰"

Thank you JV!

Debra Diane wrote: "Enjoyable review, Debra"

Thank you Diane!

Debra Felicia wrote: "I love this review, Debra 😂"

Thank you Felicia!

message 17: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Gipson Aww Debra! I’d give you a big hug if I was there. This sounds wonderful!! 💕

Debra Nicola wrote: "Aww Debra! I’d give you a big hug if I was there. This sounds wonderful!! 💕"

Thank you Nicola!

message 19: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Sounds emotional Debra, great review 💕

Debra Maureen wrote: "Sounds emotional Debra, great review 💕"

Thank you Maureen!

message 21: by Tahera (new)

Tahera Great review Debra. Sounds like a really emotional book.

message 22: by Jayme (new)

Jayme Lovely review!💕

message 23: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Fabulous review, Debra!

message 24: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ Wonderfully heartfelt review, Debra.

message 25: by JanB (new)

JanB Wonderful review Debra. Your reference to Tammy Faye gave me a visual and a chuckle :)

message 26: by Babydimps (Suzy) (new)

Babydimps (Suzy) There’s nothing like a good tear-jerker every once in awhile! So glad you enjoyed this one Debra. Great review! 😊

Debra Tahera wrote: "Great review Debra. Sounds like a really emotional book."

Thank you Tahera!

Debra Jayme wrote: "Lovely review!💕"

Thank you Jayme!

Debra Meredith wrote: "Fabulous review, Debra!"

Thank you Meredith!

Debra Diane S ☔ wrote: "Wonderfully heartfelt review, Debra."

Thank you Diane!

Debra JanB wrote: "Wonderful review Debra. Your reference to Tammy Faye gave me a visual and a chuckle :)"

Thank you Jan! Yep, cried like Tammy Faye - make up running, etc.

Debra Babydimps (Suzy) wrote: "There’s nothing like a good tear-jerker every once in awhile! So glad you enjoyed this one Debra. Great review! 😊"

Thank you Suzy!

message 33: by Jen (new)

Jen Terrific review, Debra! Always great to have an emotional read every now and then

Debra Jen wrote: "Terrific review, Debra! Always great to have an emotional read every now and then"

Thank you Jen!

message 35: by Brandice (new)

Brandice Terrific, heartfelt review, Debra! I’ve been wondering about this one recently.

message 36: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan Wonderful review, Debra !! I’m adding this to my TBR list right Away 🙂

Debra Brandice wrote: "Terrific, heartfelt review, Debra! I’ve been wondering about this one recently."

Thank you Brandice! I hope you enjoy it!

Debra Megan wrote: "Wonderful review, Debra !! I’m adding this to my TBR list right Away 🙂"

Thank you Megan! I hope you enjoy it!

message 39: by Karen (new)

Karen Fantastic review Debra!

Debra Karen wrote: "Fantastic review Debra!"

Thank you Karen!

message 41: by Paula (new)

Paula Kalin I love a good cry from a book. It doesn’t happen often enough! Excellent review, Debra!

Debra Paula wrote: "I love a good cry from a book. It doesn’t happen often enough! Excellent review, Debra!"

Thank you Paula!

message 43: by ✨Susan✨ (new)

✨Susan✨ Great review. Waterproof mascara. Too funny.

message 44: by Debra (new) - rated it 5 stars

Debra ✨Susan✨ wrote: "Great review. Waterproof mascara. Too funny."

Thank you Susan!