Stephanie (Stephanie's Novel Fiction)'s Reviews > Those People

Those People by Louise Candlish

I loved Louise Candlish's domestic suspense novel Our House last summer with its dark humor, inventive premise, and jaw-dropping ending, so I was thrilled to receive a copy of her latest disturbing domestic suspense novel, Those People for review!

It's was a seemingly normal Saturday morning in Lowland Way, the upscale London neighborhood where the novel takes place, until tragedy strikes. An unknown character has been killed in a horrific disaster, and through police interviews and chapters told by a myriad cast of characters, the novel rewinds eight weeks earlier to examine the catalytic events that precipitated the death. The way the novel is constructed, immediately reminded of Liane Moriarty’s Big Little Lies, which is one of my favorite books.

Lowland Way is the perfect suburban neighborhood, just ask Naomi and Ralph, Finn and Tess, new parent's Ant and Em, or Sissy, owner of a bed-and-breakfast. Or it was until Darren and his girlfriend Jodie move in! Darren immediately begins reconstruction, blares loud music all hours of the night, and takes up all the parking spaces because he has a used car lot!

As you can imagine the “upper class” neighbors are more than annoyed with the Booths and what they perceive to be their lower class ways, which put a mark on the respectability of Lowland Way. The characters are determined to stop him and talks, meeting, messages all commence with ideas on how to get rid of him—some ways less legal than others. Just how far will they go to return their neighborhood back to the way it was?

I love the title as it’s a play on the words "those people" because really, who does that mean—the Booths or the more “civilized” characters? Candlish is also shrewd with her insights into human behavior, and I enjoyed how she portrayed the effects the Booths had on not just a neighborhood but the individuals since flaws were revealed.

Just like with Our House, These People had an ending that was quite a twist! Just when you think everything is all figured out, Candlish throws in an ending that leaves you astonished. I'm still thinking about it. Definitely a captivating, slow-burning read! I can't wait to read more by Candlish!

**Thank you, Berkley for the gifted copy. All opinions are my own.**

*This was a Traveling Sister's Read

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Those People.

February 17, 2019 – Shelved
May 31, 2019 – Shelved as: hardback
May 31, 2019 – Shelved as: thriller
May 31, 2019 – Shelved as: traveling-sisters-read
June 3, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

marilyn Wonderful review Stephanie and enjoyed reading this book with the group. 💟

Stephanie (Stephanie's Novel Fiction) marilyn wrote: "Wonderful review Stephanie and enjoyed reading this book with the group. 💟"

Thank you, Marilyn! So did I-it was a great group read and definitely sparked some lively discussion! :) ♥

message 3: by JanB (new)

JanB I haven't read this author yet, but your terrific review has me intrigued. I love the double meaning of the title. Great review Stephanie!

Stephanie (Stephanie's Novel Fiction) JanB wrote: "I haven't read this author yet, but your terrific review has me intrigued. I love the double meaning of the title. Great review Stephanie!"
Thank you, Jan! It's a clever title with so much meaning behind it. I think you'd really enjoy Our House, her first book a lot-it was a bit better in my opinion although I enjoyed them both! :)

Holly  B Enjoyed it too, great review Stephanie!