Georgiana Derwent's Reviews > Bright Ruin

Bright Ruin by Vic James

Most of what I said, positive and negative, about the other two books in the series holds true here. There’s an imaginative, well-developed world. Strong main characters. A fast moving plot with interesting twists and turns. And on the other hand, some scenes that seem disproportionately disturbing, and so many big deaths and betrayals that they blurred into one and didn’t have as much impact as they could have done. Probably the most fascinating thing about this instalment were the scenes with Silyen which were mystical and formed a stark but welcome contrast to the more gritty, dystopian vibe going on elsewhere. He’s been my favourite character throughout the series, but previously felt underused, so it was nice to see him coming into his own here and even to get a bit of a romance subplot. The ending was unexpected and ultimately satisfying, even though I’ve still not quite got my head around what happened.

Overall, not perfect but a strong end to an enjoyable and thought-provoking series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bright Ruin.

Started Reading