Jocelyn's Reviews > The Second Death of Daedalus Mole

The Second Death of Daedalus Mole by Niall Slater

bookshelves: arc-s, ebooks, sci-five

The Second Death of Daedalus Mole was a cracking good sci-fi read. Because the events in the book took such sharp turns, it would be hard to describe it without giving big parts of the plot away. I can say this though: there was no shortage of action, political intrigue, humor, or character development.

The Characters

The strongest elements were its characters, the unlikely quartet of Mole, Erin, Ram, and Hilton. It was great that all the women throughout this story were really strong and badass, something we definitely need more of in sci-fi. And oh my goodness, Hilton was wonderfully hilarious. However, Ram was hands down the best character in this one. I would happily read a book about her life before she got tangled up in Erin and Mole’s hijinks. Same with Juno.

I wish we could have had more of all of them exploring space together, though. Not that everywhere our characters got taken in this story wasn’t interesting to read, but I would have been really pleased if this had ended up being a space pirate adventure with these guys as our motley crew. That would have been a blast.

But seriously, what was this about?

Full disclosure before I go on- throughout most of this book I had no real grasp on what it was about or where it was going. Every couple of chapters everything completely shifted course, taking the reader on endless twists and turns. As soon as I would start to get a handle on what was going on, everything went topsy turvy again. The ending left more questions than answers.

However the author wrote everything so incredibly well that I ended up enjoying every confusing second. The only drawback to this is that from the start you feel like you’ve been dumped in halfway through a series without any context. The universe Daedalus Mole lives in is described from the get-go as if it’s established canon somewhere I’ve never come across. At one point I double checked to make sure I hadn’t missed a prequel because I felt like I was seriously missing something. Most books would lose me because of this, but for some reason I just couldn’t put it down. I really wanted to know what happened next even if I didn’t understand it. I have no hesitation in saying that Niall Slater is a very talented writer to be able to pull that off.

Final Thoughts

I rarely re-read books, but I may go back over this one again after I’ve given it more time to settle. Maybe knowing what I know now, I might feel less lost. Either way, it was an enjoyable story filled with awesome characters. In my opinion, The Second Death of Daedalus Mole is a solidly entertaining read.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for a copy of this in exchange for my review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Second Death of Daedalus Mole.

February 17, 2019 – Started Reading
February 20, 2019 –
page 140
February 20, 2019 –
page 185
54.57% "What is this book even about?"
February 22, 2019 –