Sandra 's Reviews > Vlad the Paler

Vlad the Paler by Malthea

bookshelves: arc-netgalley, supernatural, bad-doggie, contemporary, humor, i-vant-to-suck-your-blood, m-m-yeah-baby

This was a hilarious read.

Cyrus, a young man living on the Eastern Coast of South Florida, visits a nightclub and meets a guy who turns out to be a vampire. Who then bites and Turns him. These are not Stephenie Meyer's vamps though. No sparkling at all, unless you include the somewhat flamboyant nature of their dress code.

Anyway, newly Turned, Cyrus has not a clue what to do and how to act. He does know, however, that Cyrus is not a vampire name so for now, he goes with Vlad. As in Vlad Drakul, the original Dracula. And hilarity ensues.

He meets an old girl friend (Vinnie) who apparently has no issue with him suddenly being a vampire and who introduces him to Logon. Vlad falls immediately for Logon and drinks from him. Cue the fireworks. Oh yeah - Vlad is gay. Love is immediate, for both of them.

So, other than being busy drinking from Logon and sexing him up, Vlad is also hunting down the vampire who bit him.

More hilarity ensues as he and his friends meet were creatures, a hermaphrodite who dabbles in voodoo (and is caricatured as can be) as well as a local business man and the vampire overlord for the town.

The story is told in Vlad's POV, in present tense, and reads pretty much like he's telling the story straight to you. Comments are directed at the reader, he answers his own questions, and you feel directly involved in the action because his voice pulls you right in. It's an unusual way of story-telling but it really works in this case.

He's irreverent, uses many geek references and witty commentary, and you just can't put the darn book down.

I laughed and snickered and giggled and snorted, and it was one of the funniest book I've read in a very long time.

Of course, there's also a bit of drama and action and people lying and hiding the truth. There's evil you know and evil you don't see coming, but in the end Vlad manages, with the help of his friends, to get everything sorted out.

The book jumps shark at the very end (a bit) but it's so over the top from the get-go, that I just went with the flow and giggle-snorted at that revelation as well.

I gave it 5 stars. It's light, it's funny, it's totally irreverent in its approach to the vampire/werewolf/voodoo/witching worlds, and I absolutely loved it.

I would definitely recommend this book. I'm also going to seek out other books this author has written or writes in the future.

I received a free ARC from the publisher via NetGalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vlad the Paler.

February 3, 2012 – Shelved
February 3, 2012 – Shelved as: arc-netgalley
February 3, 2012 – Shelved as: supernatural
March 3, 2012 – Started Reading
March 4, 2012 –
page 25
11.36% "This is hilarious!! OMG, I'm laughing so hard at the antics and the snark and the witty commentary."
March 4, 2012 –
25.0% "I haven't lol'd so hard while reading in a very long time. This is fascinating!"
March 5, 2012 –
40.0% "Too freaking funny. I'm gonna have to shelve this as "humor" also."
March 5, 2012 –
50.0% "now poor Vlad is getting some answers. Still funny as hell. His inner voice makes me laugh."
March 6, 2012 –