Kylie D's Reviews > The Scholar

The Scholar by Dervla McTiernan

bookshelves: annual-challenges, aussie-author, mystery-crime, netgalley-2019

A compelling follow up to The Ruin, The Scholar puts Dervla McTiernan into the upper echelon of crime writers. In this latest offering DS Cormac Reilly's girlfriend, Dr Emma Sweeney, stumbles across the body of a dead girl in the carpark after leaving her university lab late one night. Cormac is the first on the scene and the girl's security ID confirms her to be Carline Darcy, granddaughter of pharmaceutical billionaire John Darcy.

All is not as it seems, however, and Cormac's investigation hauls him in several different directions at once. The trouble is, having his girlfriend Emma as the one who discovers the body, and a key witness, Cormac soon finds himself compromised, and wondering if he is biased in his findings. As the evidence against the lab, and Emma, accumulates, Cormac is second guessing himself, and then racing against time to crack this case, a case he is probably too close to and invested in.

This gem of a book had me racing through it, ignoring all else, to solve the case. I did come up with some of the answers, but definitely not all of them, and some parts had me stumped! The characters continue to be fleshed out, and we find out the backstory between Cormac and Emma. I'm definitely looking forward to the next installment of the series. Recommended to all lovers of mysteries and crime fiction.

My thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scholar.

February 16, 2019 – Started Reading
February 17, 2019 – Shelved
February 17, 2019 – Shelved as: annual-challenges
February 17, 2019 – Shelved as: aussie-author
February 17, 2019 – Shelved as: mystery-crime
February 17, 2019 – Shelved as: netgalley-2019
February 17, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by Dale (new)

Dale Harcombe Great review Kylie

Kylie D Dale wrote: "Great review Kylie"

Thanks Dale :)

message 3: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Another great review Kylie! :)

Kylie D Nicola wrote: "Another great review Kylie! :)"

Thanks so much Nicola :)

message 5: by Marina (new)

Marina This sounds good.

Kylie D It is Marina 😊

message 7: by Pat (new)

Pat Great review Kylie. This series is sounding good, it is on my list but at the rate the list is growing it will be a long time before I get to it.

Kylie D Pat wrote: "Great review Kylie. This series is sounding good, it is on my list but at the rate the list is growing it will be a long time before I get to it."

Thanks Pat, I know exactly how you feel about a growing TBR list :)

Debra Fab review, Kylie! I have this one coming up and you have me excited to start it!

Kylie D Thanks Debra, it’s a great read 😊