Ambrosio's Reviews > The Kingdom of Gods

The Kingdom of Gods by N.K. Jemisin

Feb 03, 2012

First of all, sorry if my english seems a bit off. I am mexican.

It is a testament to the author's strength that I started with the first book (The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms) and could not stop until I finished the trilogy.

I really liked how she handles relations between the protagonist, when someone loves in this story, you really feel it, no matter how difficult for the character may be.

Now, concerning the books... Along the whole series, N.K. Jemisin takes us through a journey in a world where the Gods are real and share a place with mankind. They are extremely powerful and at the same time terribly vulnerable to their own natures and passions. She never gives anything for granted and does not "dumb down" the protagonist in order for a Deus ex Machina (pun intended) to solve the problems that happen along the story. Each book is set in a different period with the mortals fading away from book to book and only the Gods remaining, although the novelty of the challenges they face never gets boring. Because this is not a book about powerful beings juggling suns like superheroes. This is an story about what it means to be true to your nature and the implications of that. Will the God of Order and Stability ever change? Will the trickster and God of Mischief ever learn responsibility? Only by reading this compelling series you will learn.

For those looking for something similar. I can compare this series to Tanith Lee's Tales from the Flat Earth saga (Nigth's Master, Death's Master and Delusion's Master) and I say it as a compliment. Hope to read more from this author in the future.
Gerardo

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kingdom of Gods.