Noel's Reviews > Fringe-ology: How I Tried to Explain Away the Unexplainable-And Couldn't

Fringe-ology by Steve Volk

Feb 03, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: library

Based on reviews here and an interview I heard on NPR,I expected this to be...different. While it is obvious that Volk did his research, he often seems quite credulous. I agree with him that what seems like quack science can be, 20 years down the road, the cutting edge. Also, that we as a society need to be more open minded. But open minded doesn't mean leave the barn door open. I did like the chapters on micro vs macro quantum physics. Based on what we know, that makes sense. I did find my (as my husband calls it) wacky woo woo alarm going off regulary. A lot of this book should be taken with a very large grain of salt. Are there limits to what we can know? Sure, there are things we just don't know right now. What happens to conciousness is one. On the other hand, do I think that some of those things are ghosts knocking on doors and UFOs flying out of the sky? Well. I think the basic premise of science - is it verifiable and repeatable - is where we should be, and where this book falls short.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fringe-ology.