Jennie's Reviews > Lola and the Boy Next Door

F 50x66
Feb 03, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-feb
Read in February, 2012

I'm feeling charitable, because this is really a tie between "liked" and "really liked". Another book I read on the last leg of my ride home, along with finishing the last thirty or so pages in bed. So...reading time was like an hour, maybe a bit more. I don't know why this was such a quick read, Anna and the French Kiss took me like twice that (or more, because I read that one with breaks in between).

There were parts I really liked, there were parts I didn't like as much, but still enjoyed. Because there wasn't any really any part I did not like at all, I decided to give it 4 starts. Anna and St. Clair show up in this, which is nice. I liked Lola as a character and I loved her family situation. But something that kind of got me was the whole Nathan/Dad thing, where she calls Nathan "Dad" in dialogue, but often Nathan in narrative, and I didn't really get that, because he is her father, and I don't really recall any other YA books where the characters refer to their parents by their first names in narrative, but by their titles in dialogue unless it's referenced (like...man, I'm not coming up with any specific examples, but ones like where the teen is rebelling so only uses "mom" condescendingly, or where the teen doesn't know the parent that well). So Lola's interchangable use of Dad and Nathan and...I can't remember, does she call Andy anything other than Andy? I don't know, the whole thing just seemed a bit odd.

Also, I never got why she went by Lola. I get that she thought it was a cooler name, but since the book is so focused on finding out just who she is, it seemed weird that she doesn't identify as Delores, claims to be Lola, but there's no real shining moment where she explains just why Lola is so fitting to her and how she even came up with the name in the first place.

Good book, I like Stephanie Perkins a lot now, I will continue picking up her books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lola and the Boy Next Door.