Kris's Reviews > Pink Smog

Pink Smog by Francesca Lia Block

Feb 03, 2012

I adore anything written by Francesca Lia Block, especially Weetzie’s lyrical world of art, magic and love. It was interesting to see Weetzie before she became a confident woman. In Pink Smog, she is a insecure 13-year-old named Louise who’s father just left and her mother has a serious drinking problem. She is bullied by mean girls and her best friends have moved away. A mysterious family lives in her apartment complex. The boy is like an angel who saves Weetzie and claims to know her dad. The boy’s sister on the other hand is more of a demon with powers of voodoo with her creepy barbie dolls. What does this family have to do with her dad’s abandonment and who is leaving her cryptic notes that lead her to her favorite places in L.A.? Again Block shares her love of Los Angeles and makes you feel like you are there. I get lost in the author’s mixture of words, magic and setting. One of my favorite moments is when Louise befriends other outcasts and creates her own group of true friends. Block does a beautiful job of sharing Weetzie’s insecure, scared side and shows us what Louise went through to become the strong character I love.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pink Smog.