Silvio111's Reviews > Dream Brother: The Lives and Music of Jeff and Tim Buckley

Dream Brother by David Browne

Feb 03, 2012

People my age (born in the 50s) are most likely to remember the folk singer/songwriter Tim Buckley, whose beautiful voice soared over jazz guitar, vibraphone, and conga percussion, and with riffs swiped from jazz greats like Miles Davis into a fusion of folk and jazz.

People 20 years younger are more likely to have known of Tim's son, Jeff Buckley, who also was a singer/songwriter, had jazz influences, and had an absolutely beautiful voice.

Jeff hardly knew his father; he did not grow up with him. When he got well known in the Village for his music, he purposely never revealed who his father was.

However, fans of Tim, when they did discover him, rightly were stunned by the similarity of their pipes as well as their faces. When they ill-advisely would request his father's songs, the son would get very offended.

I would never have presumed to impose the father's repertoire on his son. But I do feel the family resemblance strongly.

Which makes it all the more tragic that they both died too young--both close to 30 yrs old more or less.

This book is an amazing story which fills in the gaps in the mystery for fans of either or both. I highly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dream Brother.