AMythicalBeast's Reviews > The Bro-Magnet

The Bro-Magnet by Lauren Baratz-Logsted

Feb 03, 2012

bookshelves: suits-my-tastes-perfectly, reviewed-by-moi, male-first-person-pov
Read from February 03 to 04, 2012

I was going to write a nice long review for this one but then I read one that pretty much said it all.---> Fiction Vixen

So here I'll explain why I gave it four stars despite my great love for Johnny Smith. There were three reasons (and two of them contain mild spoilers):

The first: Till about half the book we had been regularly told that Johnny had a keen interest in law and after he helped out one of his lawyer clients with a case, Helen (who's a DA) declined to go out with him because he'd apparently helped a criminal go free.
Helen took exception to his fondness for finding 'loopholes'. When Johnny got his chance with the girl he vehemently denied this just as he vehemently denied ever being interested in sports, or beer.
In the end when he realized that he and Helen were not so different after all (and that his drastic changes were not all necessary) the one thing that is never resolved is whether Helen finds out about Johnny helping out that other lawyer and how strongly she feels about it.

Two: The climax came at the very end and too few pages were given to its resolution. It was too abrupt.

Three: We never found out why Helen said no to him the second time he asked her out and what made her change her mind.

And that's it. I loved Johnny, his voice, his memories of his childhood, his friends and family, his opinions, his earnestness, his honesty and his humour. This is a really funny book, where the punch lines jump out at you and make your belly ache.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bro-Magnet.

02/03/2012
95.0% "The book's ended and I think I'm in love with Johnny. Can a guy get more real? Or sexy? Or adorable? The smoldering types can take a hike. This guy is perfect."
show 2 hidden updates…