K.E.'s Reviews > Down Here In The Dark

Down Here In The Dark by Lee  Thompson

Feb 03, 2012

Quote:
Better to die, he thought, than deal with that crazy shit forever.

As much as I would like to ease the suffering of Lee Thompson’s characters, I’m glad his Division Mythos continues in DOWN HERE IN THE DARK. This novella begins where IRON BUTTERFLIES RUST leaves off. Having battled demons, Frank Gunn is on his knees, beaten to the edge of sanity. The police think he’s stepped past that edge. His memories are nearly gone, jumbled and frightening. Frank has lost the thread of his old life. At New Wave Hospital he is supposed to find his way back.

Or not. Perhaps he’ll only face further testing at the hands of lost souls and even more monstrous demons.

New Wave is a strange place. Secrets bleed from the walls, staining its inhabitants. The caretakers seem unaware, or uninterested in the bizarre things happening under their roof. Psychotics hold forth before their congregation of writhing, blood-consuming acolytes. Death Mask roams the grounds, spreading his malevolence. Here, Frank meets Boaz (who has his own story in Thompson’s AS I EMBRACE MY JAGGED EDGES) a teenager who says he murdered his mother, and Jassen, a large man with his own secrets, hidden behind a child-like façade. Together, they must find their way through this newest trial.

Thompson strips Frank of his past, but his personality remains. Frank is the same protective, damaged man in IRON BUTTERFLIES RUST. The reader has no choice but to empathize with Frank as he stumbles through his new surroundings, numb and hurting and trying to regain his equilibrium.

The themes common to the Division mythos of guilt, regret, loneliness, redemption, love and grief are once again showcased. The prose seduces, and Thompson’s skill shows in full force. Frank’s experience, his revelations and choices, his basic compassion, are poignant. Thompson manages to spotlight the humanity in monsters. I defy you not to be moved by The Girl with the Fistful of Razors, even as she cuts to the bone.

DOWN HERE IN THE DARK is about the search for hope and continuing on when its glimmer is faint. It is about making choices, even when you don’t like the offerings, and finding peace in the decision. Full of raw emotion, the novella sets the stage for the next chapter of the Division Mythos in Thompson’s next novel, THE DAMPNESS OF MOURNING. I cannot wait.

4 ½ stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Down Here In The Dark.

Jassen Bailey Great insight Rook! I love this one!

K.E. Thanks, Jassen! ;)

message 3: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Thompson Thanks a bunch for the read and review, Rook!

K.E. My pleasure, Lee! ;)

Dave Thomas Good stuff.