Alok's Reviews > Monster

Monster by Naoki Urasawa

bookshelves: favorites, manga, thriller, suspense, mystery, fiction, 2019-final-reading-list
Recommended for: manga lovers, those who have never read manga

10 stars, favorite! (Review of whole series)

This is probably the greatest complete manga I've ever read and one of the best works of fiction.

When I finished it, I was speechless, shivering and dumb founded. Then I began to clap. Then I felt a lasting emptiness. What would life be like now, without this?

I've decided to read 175 books this year (2019) and I have a feeling nothing would compare or come close to this. I'd finished entire 18 volumes spanning across 162 chapters in 3 days. I was frail and recovering from horrible maladies but I was hooked onto reading Monster. I was reading another very interesting book and I left it midway to finish this.

I've never experienced such thrill, such page turning curiosity, such brilliant narration, such amazing characters - monstrous as well as righteous, such masterful character development and excellent dialogues. The mind-bending intricacies, breath holding suspense till the very last pages and how all different plot threads are resolved with such finesse. Not to forget the really amazing artwork that must have taken insane effort yet looks fluid and beautiful.

This series has amazing characters. (view spoiler) I can't believe I'd find one of my most favorite characters ever in this and so many great characters.

While reading this, I was heartbroken multiple times. I was disgusted many times, once, particularly, I felt pure hatred. And I felt joy, many times. I learned a lot from this manga series.

I felt insecure and unconfident too. I know I'd never be able to write something as brilliant in my life. This is pure genius.

After finishing this I felt really glad to be alive, that I could finally finish this really great work of art.

This is a manga without any superpower, magic, supernatural occurrence, robots and other fancy things.

This all said it is not perfect. Some things are left unexplored and unexplained. Some characters and stories could be reduced if not removed. Some of the characters look pretty similar and confusing. (view spoiler)

But this is truly best manga and much-much smarter than Death Note.

Now I'll pick up the anime sometime later and re-read this next to next year. Perhaps I'd read 20th Century Boys next year, another popular work by Naoki Urasawa.

If you're an adult and even if you may not the genre as much, I'd still really recommend this to be one of the "Stuff to Read Before You Die". Also the uninitiated should read this rather than Death Note though this is almost 5 times the size of Death Note.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monster.

January, 2019 – Started Reading
February 16, 2019 – Shelved as: suspense
February 16, 2019 – Shelved as: mystery
February 16, 2019 – Shelved as: fiction
February 16, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019-final-reading-list

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Srishti (new) - added it