Kiera's Reviews > Piecing Me Together

Piecing Me Together by Renée Watson

bookshelves: 2019, beautiful-covers, contemporary, inspiring, wow, ya

Piecing Me Together follows Jade, a young girl living in a poor neighborhood in North Portland. She attends St. Francis, a private school on the other side of town. Being one of the only black kids attending St. Francis sometimes Jade feels like an outsider. When the school counselor recommends that she join a woman to woman mentor program she learns that she can make a difference.

Piecing Me Together is a beautiful, beautiful book written by Newbery Honor and Coretta Scott winning author, Renee Watson.

Piecing Me Together takes place in Portland, Oregon, where I used to live so I really enjoyed this book. I haven't read a lot of books set in Portland. But, it's always cool to read a book that mentions places that you've been or that you have memories of.

Jade joins a woman to woman mentorship program. Her mentor attended St. Francis and is black, like Jade. Maxine, Jade's mentor is a great character. She's very caring and even though she has things going on in her personal life. Jade helps her mentor and her mentor helps her as well.

During Piecing Me Together Jade becomes more comfortable with herself and she organizes an event in honor of Natasha Ramsey, a girl who was a victim of Police Brutality. She organizes an event with her friends and with help from her mentor her idea becomes a reality. And Jade learns that she can make a difference.

Age rating:
13-up

Overall I loved Piecing Me Together. It was a beautiful, inspiring read. I will definitely read more of Renee Watson's work in the future. And also the beautiful cover!!
Five stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Piecing Me Together.

February 15, 2019 – Started Reading
February 15, 2019 – Shelved
February 15, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
February 15, 2019 –
page 150
54.15% "Piecing Me Together is set in Portland, Oregon, where I used to live so in some ways this is kind of like a trip down memory lane 😁 . Portland is such a great city."
February 16, 2019 –
100.0% "What a beautiful book. RTC"
February 16, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019