Kathleen's Reviews > Rain Dogs

Rain Dogs by Adrian McKinty

This is McKinty’s 5th offering in the Detective Sean Duffy series set in Northern Ireland during the time of the Troubles. Sean is incredulous when asked to investigate a missing billfold for a Finnish investor. It’s not really worthy of a homicide detective, is it? While there, he meets Lily Bigelow, a pretty new journalist. The next time he sees her, she is lying dead in the courtyard of an eighth century castle in Carrickfergus. She apparently committed suicide by leaping off the high wall. But, a minor detail starts niggling at Sean. Could he have another ‘locked room’ mystery on his hands? Yup!

This offering has an international flavor, as Sean, Lawson and McCrabben travel to Finland to question the Finland delegation members. There are trips to the U.K. as well. Before you know it, they have uncovered an international pedophile ring and some very dangerous suspects.

I love Sean’s biting humor, his lack of deference to his bosses and even his jokes with puns. As always, he is having girlfriend troubles. He drinks too much—smokes too much—and uses illicit drugs. He also has a fabulous vinyl record collection that I would love to peruse. Recommend this excellent series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rain Dogs.

February 15, 2019 – Started Reading
February 15, 2019 – Shelved
February 15, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Sean sounds like a fun detective to star in a series!

Kathleen Jenna wrote: "Sean sounds like a fun detective to star in a series!"

I really enjoy McKinty's writing and his Sean Duffy character. It is a great series.

message 3: by Beata (new)

Beata Lovely review, Kathleen :)) Sean sounds interesting as he has some vices, which is so himan, and vinyl records :)) I already like 'im!! :)

Kathleen Beata wrote: "Lovely review, Kathleen :)) Sean sounds interesting as he has some vices, which is so himan, and vinyl records :)) I already like 'im!! :)"

Thanks Beata! :)