Lepus Domesticus's Reviews > Stories of the Raksura, Volume 1: The Falling World & The Tale of Indigo and Cloud

Stories of the Raksura, Volume 1 by Martha Wells

U 50x66
The stories in this collection fit perfectly well with the novels that precede them. I'm curious to see if "The Falling World" is referenced in the other works that follow it chronologically, but so far, and unlike the work of some other authors, I see no reason not to count all these stories as "canon." I found myself looking up things in the first three novels of this series often as I read, and gained some new insight into them from these stories, so that was a lot of fun.

The first novella, "The Falling World" takes place shortly after The Siren Depths, and references the events of the novels. It's a discrete adventure that actually serves as some character development for Chime, so I'm eager to see if his growth in this story is portrayed in The Edge of Worlds. Moon continues to be necessary to save the day, and to save Jade. I can see how with all these strange and arcane dangers of the Three Worlds, colonies can suddenly die out, and why successful colonies have a use for so many junior queens, besides just fighting and getting into trouble like the queens of Emerald Twilight.

Speaking of which... The second novella tells the story of Indigo and Cloud. My favorite line in The Serpent Sea was, "If Cloud had been quick with a kettle, you wouldn't be here." I knew there was more to that story, and the reality is actually even better than I imagined. : ) (Also, I loved little Stone! *g*)

Then there are two quite short stories, one of Moon as a child encountering a groundling settlement, and a direct prequel to The Cloud Roads, of Chime's transformation from his point of view. The latter I felt was actually the weakest of the stories, partly because Chime seemed to accept the change pretty quickly, even though throughout the first three novels he is still struggling with acceptance. Delayed reaction due to shock?

I also questioned Cerise's casual mentions of the Fell in "The Tale of Indigo and Cloud," and spent a long time rereading the sections of The Siren Depths that related to it. Ah, and then of course there's the bit with Moon at Emerald Twilight in Serpent Sea learning the origin story of the Raksura. I think it still works if you squint at it--the Raksura understand that Fell exist and sort of what they are and what they eat, yet Opal Night had never seen any and could still be confused--but it's a bit of a stretch. Still, I love the books anyway, and I enjoyed these stories a lot, and certainly feel they belong with the rest of the books. Indeed, I have a feeling that when I reread the novels, I'll include the stories that fit chronologically between Siren Depths and Edge of Worlds in the right order.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stories of the Raksura, Volume 1.

Started Reading