Dannii Elle's Reviews > Nocturna

Nocturna by Maya Motayne

bookshelves: fantastic-fabrications

A face-shifting thief, who steals more than just food and coin to survive but also the faces of those she meets, and a prince, with a magical doorknob to lead him directly to wherever he wants in the world, combine in an unprecedented interweaving of fates.

The former, Finn Voy, seeks to escape the dark shadow dominating her past but finds herself with a new foe to duel with, when she aligns her plight with the Prince's. Prince Alfehr is not concerned with ruling the kingdom but only in seeking the brother who was stolen from him and now considered dead. He disbelieves these rumours and searches for answers in dark and forgotten magic. But instead of finding a brother returned he unwittingly unleashes an ancient magic, which seeks to take the kingdom and his people for its own.

This magic system is the most inventive and unique I have experienced for such a long time. The initial portion was a little dense, because of this, but Motayne ensured her readers were provided a proper basis in which to understand this complex system, before the action truly started.

I also loved both central characters. They were disparate in personality but both were aligned in the instant adoration I felt for them. Finn is an unapologetic badass whilst Alfie is a precious little cinnamon roll, and seeing these polar opposites interact provided some hilarious incidents that nicely offset the surrounding tension. Their dialogue was sarcastic as they continually sought to test their wits against each other and both proved stubborn and spiteful, at first. These feelings slowly thawed, as the novel progressed, and this was one of the best instances of enemies to lovers I have seen documented.

The only slight mar in this otherwise stellar read was the slightly stodgy pace, I have already mentioned. However, the unique magic system, intriguing world, and authentic characters all made this undoubtedly one fantasy book to keep on your radar, for 2019, and ensured Maya Motayne a future auto-buy author for me, from now on.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to the author, Maya Motayne, and the publisher, Hodder & Stoughton, for this opportunity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nocturna.

February 14, 2019 – Shelved
February 14, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
March 2, 2019 – Started Reading
March 2, 2019 –
14.0% "This magic system is some of the most unique and inventive I've ever encountered!"
March 2, 2019 –
39.0% ""The Black King, turned to bone
In your heart he'll make his home
Your eyes will bleed, your soul burned black
At his his feet, you'll bend your back.
So hurry, little ones. Off to bed!
Lest Sombra wake and take your head!""
March 3, 2019 –
60.0% "I feel like every update I want to write for this book is about how amazing this magic system is because, OH MY GOSH, THIS MAGIC SYSTEM IS AMAZING!!"
March 8, 2019 – Shelved as: fantastic-fabrications
March 8, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Mike (new) - added it

Mike Fantastic review, Danni.

"Their dialogue was sarcastic as they continually sought to test their wits against each other and both proved stubborn and spiteful, at first. These feelings slowly thawed, as the novel progressed, and this was one of the best instances of enemies to lovers I have seen documented." - I will look forward to this battle of wits!!

Dannii Elle Mike wrote: "Fantastic review, Danni.

Their snarky and sarcastic conversations are such fun to read! I hope you get the chance to read and enjoy this one as much as I did :)