Deane Barker's Reviews > Legion versus Phalanx

Legion versus Phalanx by Myke Cole

Read 2 times. Last read February 14, 2019.

I struggled with this book. The author admits that it's about almost everything except a direct comparison of the legion and the phalanx. After a short introduction to ancient military tactics, it pretty quickly launches into a long history of ancient warfare and battles.

About halfway through this, disaster struck. My Kindle somehow lost its place and launched me 20-30% further in the book than I was. To my horror, I realized that I couldn't find my way back -- all the history I was reading had kind of run together, and I had no idea where I was in the book.

So, I consulted the table of contents, and decided to skip forward to the last 20%, which comes after all the history and brought everything together to say -- I gather -- that the legion won.

In the end, I estimate that I read 65% of the book.

There's no question that the author knows what he's talking about, but this is very much a book for someone obsessed with ancient warfare and military tactics (and I clearly should have surmised that from the title).

So, good book, just wrong audience. I'm not providing a star rating for that reason -- I didn't click with this book, but it wasn't the book's fault.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Legion versus Phalanx.

Finished Reading