Helen's Reviews > The Poison Song

The Poison Song by Jen Williams

bookshelves: arc, fantasy, sci-fi, competent-female-characters, dragon, favourites, feminist, magic, witches

I was so excited to get my hands on The Poison Song, the last book in The Winnowing Flame trilogy! I've been waiting for this moment for two years now. And happily, it didn't disappoint.

It shows how much I've enjoyed this series that I could remember what happened in the last two books. Normally I forget everything and have to keep checking back, especially if it's been a while, but the storyline of this series has stayed with me.

And there's a lot of story that's been crammed into these three books! It works and it never felt overwhelming or like it was moving too fast but there's a lot going on. So much so that right up until the last third of the book I couldn't see how the story could come to a conclusion by the last page. Jen Williams has very cleverly made this intertwined story come together and wrap everything up neatly, but without feeling forced. I don't know how she's managed it, the woman is a genius!

So, the storyline I don't want to talk about too much because I don't want to give anything away if you haven't read the first two books. But it starts with an event that I've been waiting for since the first book when Noon goes back with her warbeast to where she was imprisoned for so long and makes them see the error of their ways (to put it nicely). Aside from that though things are looking bad for the warbeasts and their riders. They are damaged and battered from their fights in the last book and they have lost one of their own but despite all that, they have become a team. They now trust each other and are working together.

The Jure’lia, who I still think are some of the creepiest and scariest villains, are also battered and their Queen is distracted trying to fix the crystal. Hestillion won't let them give in though and uses her knowledge of her world to give them strategy and make them attack with a purpose, something the Jure’lia have been lacking.

There are some epic battles in this book! Hestillion is scarily clever and the warbeasts and their riders have to pull out all the stops to fight her. Noon and Vintage have their own adventures - I loved Vintage's storyline in this one. She is by far my favourite character and she was already kinda awesome but I enjoyed watching her out on her own without Noon and Tor to back her up.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the ending. I admire authors that make brave decisions but I also kinda hate it at the same time and I wish it hadn't ended like that. This is one I need time to recover from.

The Winnowing Flame is modern and fresh fantasy and it's one of my favourite series of the last few years and it ended super strong with The Poison Song. I hope Jen Williams style starts to influence other fantasy authors.

I received a free copy in return for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Poison Song.

February 14, 2019 – Shelved
February 14, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
March 13, 2019 – Shelved as: arc
March 13, 2019 – Shelved as: own-and-need-to-read
March 18, 2019 – Started Reading
March 19, 2019 –
5.0% "I've been waiting for this book for a year, I'm so excited to read it!"
March 19, 2019 –