Neyra ♦'s Reviews > Wicked Nights

Wicked Nights by Gena Showalter

bookshelves: best-of-2012, adult-pnr
Recommended for: ALL LOTU & ANGEL PNR FANS :D

Actual Rating: 4.5

What I really loved about Wicked Nights was the slow building of the romance. The change in Zacharel, his curiosity, Anabelle's determination, her tenacity. To be honest it's a slow read, more an introduction to the world of the Angels of the Dark, but I found I did not mind. I didn't want to jump into a story where I had no idea what was going on and everything needed to be explained at once so I could play catch up, making it even more confusing. Heartbreaking as it is heartwarming, Gena Showalter brings us another amazing series, and beautiful angels on the brink of destruction with no hope for redemption.

Zacharel, leader of the Army of Disgrace, as his fellow brethren have deemed them, is a cold, heartless, and emotionless angel. When we first met Zacharel in The Darkest Secret, I was immediately intrigued. He is as beautiful and magnetic as he is cold and callous. But how can an angel who is suppose to be kind, compassionate, and caring be so heartless? What has made this angel so icy? When I discovered his reason, I was both shocked and heartbroken, it wasn't something I'd expect to read, but there it was. But all that changes when he meets Anabelle Miller, a human who intrigues the angel like nothing or no one ever has before. To watch him fall apart and contradict himself with her was so beautiful and not to mention hilarious, I couldn't help but fall in love even more with him.

Anabelle Miller is a human locked up in a criminally insane institution. She's been accused of murdering her parents claiming a demon did it. But what the police doesn't understand, is she is telling the truth. But why is she the only human who can see demons? This was a startling revelation, I had no idea a demon could have a consort, let alone that they could do it whilst the person was dreaming. What I liked about Anabelle? Despite the fact that she was wrongfully accused and living out a life sentence in an insane asylum, she was strong and determined not to go down without a fight, both with the demons and humans alike. I really liked that about her. Then her wry sense of humor with Zacharel, their banter was hilarious. And I like that she doesn't fall head over heels in love with him and let's him treat her like she's beneath him, despite that she's human.

I liked the slow building of their relationship, it seemed much more realistic that they took things slow, as it was Zacharel's first time, EVER with a woman. I wouldn't go as far as saying the sex scenes were awesome and they were so steamy, no, rather they were endearing and sweet. Not what I was use to from Gena Showalter, but definitely not disappointing either.

All love aside, though, Zacharel struggles to earn the respect of his men. They're all angels who've seen far more than any other has. And they've been stripped of their humanity, their compassion, their ability to feel anything but the need for destruction and vengeance. I really loved Thane, Bjorn, Xerxes, Koldo, and Axel, though we only see very little of him. I would have liked to see more of the army, and more of their reluctance to heed orders, I mean they're suppose to be the baddest of the bad, right?

On top of leading an army, Zacharel must deal with demons who are bent on capturing Anabelle for the Demon High Lord, Unforgiveness. But I couldn't help feel disappointed that the reason why he wanted her was so obvious. Still, I liked the end result. And the more I read, the more I wanted to know more. Despite the Angel's new mission to keep from falling, and the battles with demons they must face, there is still the impending war we saw brewing in the Lords of the Underworld series. And I really liked that we got to see the Lords interact with Zacharel again, brief as it was.

I can't wait to read Koldo's book, which is Beauty Awakened, and read more about the angels. This series is looking very promising and I'd recommend to any LOTU fan and lover of angel paranormal romances :D

And now for my Fangirl review Well, more like a play by play of my reaction to some of the things that happened :P
(view spoiler)

FANGIRLING? MEEEE?? Why, yes... Yes I am! And

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked Nights.

Quotes Neyra ♦ Liked

Gena Showalter
“Kill me then. A true death. Please. You can't leave me like this."
"Like This" had been broken, bloody and violated in unspeakable ways. "Anything but that. You'll recover. One day you will even be happy again."
"I don't want to recover. I want to cease to exist, now and forever. That's the only way to end my torment.”
Gena Showalter, Wicked Nights

February 2, 2012 – Shelved
June 26, 2012 – Started Reading
page 1
0.24% "*Comes to a screeching halt* EVERYTHING gets put on hold for my cold and heartless angel... Zacharel, I have you at last !! ♥ >.<"
page 110
26.76% "This book is tearing at my heart strings ;( @GenaShowalter how could you hurt Zacharel so much? *sobs*"
page 167
40.63% "HE HAS DIMPLES!!! ♥ O.O *Faints*"
June 27, 2012 –
page 254
61.8% "The Lords!! Oh Baby! It's the Lords!! *Breaks into sobs* ♥"
June 27, 2012 –
page 411
100.0% "*whimpers* Nooo, I can't believe it, this book was awesome in every way. Can't wait for book 2. Review to come soon :)"
June 27, 2012 – Finished Reading
June 28, 2012 – Shelved as: best-of-2012
November 24, 2012 – Shelved as: adult-pnr

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)

message 1: by TarynXO (new) - added it

TarynXO awesome, I just started it :)

Neyra ♦ :D I hope you like it Taryn, I did.. a lot! >.< Lol keep me updated :)

Lori Lol! Love it!

Steph Haha, love the pic. Would you recommend this book to me? I haven't read much about angels :)

Neyra ♦ Lori wrote: "Lol! Love it!"

Whoop whoop!!! ^.^ lol

Steph wrote: "Haha, love the pic. Would you recommend this book to me? I haven't read much about angels :)"

Steph, I would so recommend this book :D It's a slow read I wont lie, but still you get addicted to the characters, there banter, there humor, it's a great start to a new series :D

Steph Ok, well I bought it on my Kindle earlier. It sounds great. But I've got 5 or 6 books to read first.
We've also got the book of the month coming up soon lol

Neyra ♦ Yay!! I hope u enjoy it, let me know how it goes when u get to reading it :))

Ohh, whats the botm this time? I havnt even been over to bookaholics -____- lol

Steph Dunno yet, we'll know in the next few days :)

message 9: by Bri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bri •Books and Bri• Hey, awesome review! And I love the picture at the end! haha! :) No one should ever feel sorry for fangirling.

Neyra ♦ Steph wrote: "Dunno yet, we'll know in the next few days :)"
Sounds good :) Let Me know? Please?

Bri wrote: "Hey, awesome review! And I love the picture at the end! haha! :) No one should ever feel sorry for fangirling."
Hi Bri :) Thank you I appreciate it, and you're right, I refuse to be sorry :P Have you read it yet? :)

message 11: by Bri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bri •Books and Bri• Yes, I have and I LOVED it! I was fangirling just like you! And the dimples moment.... [sigh] be still my heart. I enjoyed this book SO MUCH. Zacharel is just amazing! Love, love, love! *runs off to stare at the cover*

Neyra ♦ xD Lmao! Ugh, I know I was in utter shock and I did "sheldon-faint" for a moment :P Well! *Stares at Bri while she runs off* Lol!! I did love this book. I can't wait to find out more about Thane, and the rest of the angels :D

message 13: by Bri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bri •Books and Bri• Haha! Sheldon does faint rather well, doesn't he?? :) And I cannot wait for Thane's story! I am already in love with the guy!! XD

Neyra ♦ He sure does!! Lol Oh I know, I fell in love with him the moment he utter his first sarcastic remark toward Zacharel *dreamy sigh* ♥ xD

message 15: by Lori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori Neyra wrote: "He sure does!! Lol Oh I know, I fell in love with him the moment he utter his first sarcastic remark toward Zacharel *dreamy sigh* ♥ xD"

And Thane is so loyal to his friends! I want to know more about Xerxes and why that mind-reading lady wanted him so badly.

Neyra ♦ Lord knows you're right Lori! x] Lol I do love that about him :P And definitely, I'm curious to find out if (view spoiler)

I thought for sure, she'd be the one to end up with Xerxes, but he doesn't like to be touched by anyone ;( Aaah, poor guys, they've been through hell, literally!

message 17: by Lori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori Neyra wrote: "Lord knows you're right Lori! x] Lol I do love that about him :P And definitely, I'm curious to find out if [spoilers removed]

I thought for sure, she'd be the one to end up with Xerxes, but he do..."

Omg! I didn't. I think I was devouring that book too quickly. What page or chapter is that in? I'm definitely going to re-read that part.

Neyra ♦ Give me a minute.... *Starts to flip through Wicked Nights*.... *minutes later, sorry I was caught up in Angel stalk-- I mean loving xD* ...... It's on Ch 20 page 272 Read it through page 277 and let me know if you get that same vibe :D

message 19: by Lori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori You're right! Yes, yes, yes. He didn't throw up after that little struggle and Thane was wondering how he could stand the touch. Do you think Cairo was so eager because she knew and wanted to convert him? I'm thinking it's deeper than that. Can't wait for their books!

Neyra ♦ KOh lord I cant wait to find out!!! >.< I need to know. I thought that was soo hot!! xD idk about Cairo though I though she genuinely liked him, but I could be wrong *shrugs* Lol

Stacy Do I need to read all of LOTU before reading this book? I stopped at "Darkest Secret"...but I really want to start this book but worried it will ruins the rest of the books in LOTU

Neyra ♦ Stacy wrote: "Do I need to read all of LOTU before reading this book? I stopped at "Darkest Secret"...but I really want to start this book but worried it will ruins the rest of the books in LOTU"

Hi Stacy :)
No you don't need to read the rest of LOTU before Starting Wicked Nights. The Darkest Secret is where you get introduced to Zacharel, and you see more of his demeanor in the books, I guess you can say a better understanding to why people say he's a cold heartless angel, but regardless, you'll not be missing anything from LOTU nor, will there be any LOTU spoilers, I promise :) Plus you'll have time to catch up with the Lords before book two in the Angels of the Dark series is out :D

Stacy thank you so much!!!!

Neyra ♦ You're welcome :)

Steph Starting this today, finally! lol

message 26: by Lori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori Steph wrote: "Starting this today, finally! lol"

Steph, only now?! Lol! It was so gooooooood!

Steph Yeah, I know. I've had it on my kindle for like 4 months.
Awful, I know :(

I'm about 70% in and OMG I am loving it.

I have fallen so hard for Thane, Bjorn and Xerxes *swoon* I hope they get a book some time :)

xrysa Awesome review :)
I cant wait to start this!!

Neyra ♦ kristina wrote: "Awesome review :)
I cant wait to start this!!"

Tanks Kristina. And I'm glad you loved it :)

Christa wow!