Joséphine (Word Revel)'s Reviews > The Similars

The Similars by Rebecca Hanover

Initial thoughts: I expected more from The Similars. It contains two subjects I adore in novels — clones and boarding schools — and yet, it fell short. I couldn't look past the plot holes and inexplicable circumstances. Secret societies are staples of YA books set at boarding schools but in the case of The Similars, the elite society was supported by the school board. In order to be inducted, one had to be among the top five scorers in an admission test. That's all fine and good but don't tell me the principal has no idea about the hazing practices. I just couldn't suspend my disbelief with this one.

Overall, the plot was entertaining but the transitions between scenes didn't always make sense. Yes, there was supposed to be this air of mystery, what with students being attacked and/or disappearing. The adults in this book just seemed entirely too clueless, given that several of them had been part of the society as teens and apparently benefitted from it as adults. What makes this even stranger is that apart from the occasional midnight meetings, the society didn't actually contribute to the student body. It was just a convenient plot device to explain away the motivations of the villain in this story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Similars.

February 13, 2019 – Started Reading