Whitney Atkinson's Reviews > Red, White & Royal Blue

Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston

I’ve been weeping for an hour and a half, that’s how good this book is. I’ll update with a full review later today when it’s not 4:30 AM and i cant breathe out of my nose bc snot and emotions.

14 hours later
Okay, hi.
Not gonna lie, I woke up, cried in the shower about this book, cried on the way home from Rosalie's vet appointment, then cried again while filming a vlog clip about how much I loved this book. I don't doubt I'll cry typing this review.

I adored this book. So. Much.

First and foremost, it's just so goddamn funny. I can often skim read humor in romance books and not even crack a grin, but I was genuinely cracking up at this book, a fact made worse by the fact that I was reading the first half of it in Barnes & Noble and people probably thought I looked crazy. Alex's dialogue with his friends and family and even the way the writing style is formatted is just so genuine and funny and modern and sarcastic and there was not a SINGLE instance in this book that I think was overdone or cheesy. This author is just masterful at crafting realistic, meaningful, but also lighthearted conversations.

Next, I loved how politics was folded into this book. Nothing was too abrupt as to be boring or info dumpy, but there were so many nods to Texan politics, which admittedly struck close to home being from Dallas. But beyond that, there's a lot of discussion about the first son and daughter being half Mexican and there was a lot about campaigning and the corruption of politicians and the reaction of a woman being president for the first time, and all of these commentaries were such a great addition to the story.

This is the type of book that makes you love every single character. From Henry and Alex to even the most minor cabinet members or White House staff, every character has a place carved out for them in this book and you were able to care about them and their conflicts without sacrificing your attnetion from Alex's main storyline. I LOVED Nora and June and Pez and Zahra and Alex's mom, the fucking president, who I did not expect to be so blunt and crass but I fell in love with instantly.

Delving into this world is equal parts comforting and horrifying. Comforting because it's the alternate universe outcome I wish we'd had in the 2016 election, so seeing how different the world could be and hearing Alex's triumph about being biracial and living in the White House made me teary. At the same time, it really confronts you with just how institutionalized homophobia is, and the portion of the book that began discussing that (~the last 100 pages) is when the tears started and didn't stop.

Alex and Henry's separate journeys with grappling with their sexuality and how to be transparent with their identities as world leaders were completely touching. This book follows Alex's perspective, and I really loved the discussion of bisexuality and questioning your sexuality, and the support system he was able to generate with his friends and family. However, this book also broke my heart in its discussion of Henry's sexuality and the acceptability of being in homosexual relationships while in a position of power, especially the leader of a country and how your people will react. Ultimately, the way Henry and Alex's sexualities found their support was SO wholesome and, shocker, made me sob. This book definitely has its cute royal romance moments, but my favorite part of it was at its heart, it's about two men growing more comfortable in their sexuality and being willing to face anybody who would question them.

I basically used up an entire sleeve of sticky tabs because this book was so hilarious, important, and touching. If you havnen't preordered this already, I highly recommend you do so.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red, White & Royal Blue.

February 13, 2019 – Shelved
February 13, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
February 13, 2019 – Shelved as: sent-from-pub
March 11, 2019 – Started Reading
April 6, 2019 –
page 64
14.81% "i had a dream last night about prince henry if that tells you anything about how much i’m liking this book so far."
April 8, 2019 – Shelved as: favorites
April 8, 2019 – Shelved as: read-in-2019
April 8, 2019 – Shelved as: romance
April 8, 2019 – Shelved as: superior-enemies-to-lovers
April 8, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

doubticanpaint This past day you've sent my excitement levels for this book from like a 3 to well past a 10

message 2: by Izabelle (new) - added it

Izabelle Holmgren I just finished watching your vlog and I NEED THIS BOOK IN MY LIFE

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Ward I really need to read this now!