Jordan's Reviews > The Hound of the Baskervilles

The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle

8196025

bookshelves: fiction, mystery

Still my favorite Holmes story, almost certainly because of its atmosphere. I think I learned to love the gothic—foggy nights, howling winds, big empty houses in barren places, candlelit halls of family portraits, women with terrible secrets, and a none too subtle helping of the (apparently) supernatural—from the Illustrated Classics version, which I read many times as a kid. I think this is the second time I’ve read the whole thing. And I respond to this atmosphere wherever I find it—an Antarctic research facility in The Thing, the schlocky re-enactments of hauntings and UFO sightings on “Unsolved Mysteries,” the gravely toning churchbells at the beginning of “Hell’s Bells,” a foggy morning drive through rolling piedmont pastureland on my commute—and there’s not a little of it in my own writing. You can find basically all of the things I listed above in No Snakes in Iceland, for instance.

So, weirdly, I love this novel because this novel taught me to love the things this novel does.

That doesn’t really say anything about the novel itself though. It’s great, even if its conclusion is ultimately a very sophisticated Victorian version of a Scooby Doo plot. Read it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hound of the Baskervilles.

February 13, 2019 – Started Reading