Jean-Luc's Reviews > Code: The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software

Code by Charles Petzold

Feb 02, 2012

Read in November, 2011 — I own a copy

There's a long, long list of books where my common reaction to them is "I wish I'd read this in high school, it could've set me straight much earlier!" Unfortunately, this isn't one of them... because I graduated in 1998 and this was published in 1999.

At some point in your computer science career, you will take a courses and labs in digital systems. At Stevens, when I was your age, this was 381 (Switching Theory and Logical Design) and 383 (Computer Organization). This book combines both of those courses, starting from counting numbers all the way to building a programmable computer. The main difference is that the author, Charles Petzold, actually cares about the subject and makes it interesting. I would gladly have payed $4800 to read this book instead of paying that amount to take those 2 courses because I actually learned something from this book.

Would make a great, great, great gift for any high school student considering a career in programming.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Code.