Michael Sahd's Reviews > Neverwhere

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

I like the writing, and I like the story. Neil Gaiman has a lot to offer when you get lost in this adventure. It's strange, witty, and fascinating. The only thing I have an issue with is the characters, even the main one. There's something just a little unbelievable about them, and not so much the fantasy element, but how they react to the trials in the story. That said, how much belief can one expect when thrown into some Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Other Stories type of bizarre.

As the main character, Richard is fine. He is well written. I personally think he's a twit, but that's simply because we have different personalities. Door, as a character is fun, but inconsistent. When we first meet her, I like the mystery and weirdness about her, but as we get further into the story, she loses some of her luster. I feel that many of the characters lose something toward the end, except Richard who seems to grow. Since the characters lose their shine, so does my rating lose a star. If I could, it would only be half a star. The book is still very enjoyable.

Definitely read this book. These days, I find that I can't finish a book if it doesn't pull me in. I simply don't have the time. This book, with it's strangeness, pulled me in, and I scavenged the time to read it. So I'm certain you'll like it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Neverwhere.

February 13, 2019 – Shelved
February 13, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
February 14, 2019 – Started Reading
March 5, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Iona (new)

Iona Caldwell One of my favorite reads to date. Super spooky and an amazing story.

Michael Sahd Iona wrote: "One of my favorite reads to date. Super spooky and an amazing story." I am very interested in picking up some of his other books now. I have to admit, I'm behind on Neil's work.

message 3: by Iona (new)

Iona Caldwell Michael wrote: "Iona wrote: "One of my favorite reads to date. Super spooky and an amazing story." I am very interested in picking up some of his other books now. I have to admit, I'm behind on Neil's work."

Haha, no problem. He's really good. I recommend Good Omens where he and Terry Pratchitt work together. I enjoyed that one a lot.