Bradley's Reviews > The Ones Who Got Away

The Ones Who Got Away by Roni Loren

bookshelves: 2019-shelf, romance

Yeah, yeah, I just read a romance for Valentine's day. Sue me. I'm supposed to go out on a limb. Break the cast. Stretch my wings. Learn to fly...
Oh, whatever... I read a romance, all right?

The good: It does exactly what it sets out to do. Pull on the heartstrings without once touching the head. You know which head.

Add past tragedy and bad decisions, throw two scarred peeps together, have them hem and haw about keeping things light and avoiding hurt through all the attraction, have a new emotional tragedy loom on the horizon, and then, when we think it's all over, give us the sappy romantic end.

Wait... this can't be a romance, CAN IT? buahahahahaha.

The bad: There is nothing, and I mean NOTHING surprising about this novel. It's a set piece, written well, but it follows the formula perfectly.

That isn't always a bad thing, of course. People want to have their heartstrings tugged, get a huge dose of sexytime on the page, and FEEL.

This novel does that. I felt, too.

But afterward? I'm like... okay! What's next? *shrug*

This MAY have been a one-night-stand. Even so, happy V-Day!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ones Who Got Away.

February 13, 2019 – Started Reading
February 13, 2019 – Shelved
February 13, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
February 14, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019-shelf
February 14, 2019 – Shelved as: romance
February 14, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Trish Thanks for reading this with me despite it not being your cuppa - which makes me even happier about that rating and that you didn't hate it! :D

message 2: by Bradley (last edited Feb 15, 2019 10:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bradley Didn't hate. lol no. If I judged every book by its creativity rating and not sheer pleasure, my average score would go down to 2-3. :)

Fortunately, I actually ENJOY stories even if they're done 100 times over. :)

Or 10,000.

Trish *lol* How very generous of you.

Bradley I definitely think so, too! :)

message 5: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Lol.

Trish Incidentally, there was actually quite a lot to laugh about here.