Kristen Burns's Reviews > Infernal Providence: Heir of Destruction

Infernal Providence by J. Armand

4.5 Stars

Review:
*I received a copy of this book from the author. This has not influenced my review.*

Gah, this is one of those difficult books to review because it had so much going on and was so tightly coiled with the rest of the series. I'm tempted to just say, "GOOD BOOK IS GOOD," and then put a bunch of sassy Dorian quotes and all the fan art I made. I have so many thoughts though! So I'm gonna split this review into two parts: one completely spoiler-free for the series, and one for anyone who's read the previous books.

*****Spoiler-Free for the Series*****

Every book in this series has had kind of its own plot, but they've all been very interconnected and building up a bigger plot, and this was the book where a lot of that really culminated (but there are still going to be more books, so everything is not over). There were a lot of intense battle scenes, but also moments with a quieter intensity and some moments of reflective downtime and fun. The plots and the character developments in this series have a lot of complexity, planning, and thought put into them, so it's always nice to see how things progress more and more. (Side note: It makes the books especially enjoyable to reread!)

Another thing I love is that the scope has definitely gotten more epic---larger-scale events happening, world-ending stakes, a growing cast of characters, etc.---and yet, the author has continued to make the books feel relatively narrow in scope and keep me feeling connected by staying focused on Dorian and friends and by sticking to his POV (aside from a brief foray into another POV for a good reason).

Speaking of Dorian and friends, the characters continued to be layered and oh-so-lovable! I've started adopting characters I love, so I'm adding these to my family. They're mine now. All of them. Well, maybe not all of them (manipulative, mind-controlling tyrants and human-eating flesh monsters need not apply), but definitely Dorian, Noah, Gianluca, Lyle, and Nathaniel. Especially those last three. They're just big, hunky sweethearts. I also love how sassy Dorian is getting. And Noah is... well, he's Noah, and I love him for it. I love his ridiculous, obnoxious side, his playful side, and his deeper, caring side. There were some adorable friend, found family, and romantic relationships too.

The supernatural stuff continued to be interesting as well. So many of these characters have seriously cool powers (e.g. creating things from and traveling through shadows), plus Dorian's telekinesis powers grew even more.

*****Spoilers for Books 1-4*****

For anyone who's read the previous books and wants to know more specifically what you can look forward to in this one...

(view spoiler)

*****Overall Thoughts*****

Overall, this was an amazing addition to the series with heightened stakes, lots of supernatural powers, adorable friendships and relationships, and so many lovable characters!

*If you're interested in learning more about the series, you can find an interview with the author here!*

*****I Made Fan Art!*****

I was inspired! J. Armand sometimes refers to Dorian as a smol spooky boi, so I couldn't resist trying to learn how to draw chibi art (seriously, I watched like five tutorial videos) so that I could attempt to draw smol Dorian.

Dorian Chibi

For the rest of my art (a stick figure comic about the books and one NSFW drawing), check out my review on my blog!

Recommended For:
Fans of Books 1-4 in J. Armand's The Immortal Coil series. Anyone who likes intense action, complex plots, large casts of lovable and continually growing characters, sweet friendships/relationships, and lots of supernaturals.

Original Review @ Metaphors and Moonlight

---------------------

Initial Thoughts:
An amazing addition to the series with lots of intensity, adorable friendships/relationships, and so many lovable characters!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Infernal Providence.

February 13, 2019 – Started Reading