MC's Reviews > Sounds Like Titanic

Sounds Like Titanic by Jessica Chiccehitto Hindman

3919976

I won a Kindle copy of this memoir from a Goodreads giveaway and – wow – what a real unexpected gem. “Sounds Like Titanic” is the memoir of a classically trained violinist who goes on tour with an unnamed composer. She pretends to play against a backing soundtrack for sold-out concert venues, at craft fairs and in malls across middle America.

It is against this background that Hindman explores her life growing up in rural Appalachia, what it means to be your authentic self (particularly as a woman), dealing with anxiety and traveling through middle America post-9/11. Hindman also takes a lot of risks in the book by tackling so many different topics and using second person narration for different chapters. At first, it doesn’t feel like this would work well together but for me, it made all the sense in the world. She shares her observations with a lot of humor and accuracy. Despite her unique and bizarre circumstances, I could see a lot of my own feelings and experiences reflected in hers.

For example, here’s a passage where Hindman explains the perception of potential for young girls (the sky’s the limit!) versus the reality of growing up in a body that will be scrutinized for years to come:

Born into the first generation of girls whose political and civic equality was already assumed, you are told from the earliest age that you can become an astronaut, a doctor, the president of the United States (if you work hard enough). The potential for your life supposedly has no bounds. But by your twelfth birthday, you have a sinking feeling. You can’t do life in this body. Not this body, the one that is appearing slowly, then suddenly before you in the mirror. This body is a stranger; you don’t know it, you don’t like it. It’s certainly not the body you would have ordered from a catalog.

I ended up highlighting 32 more passages like these. This was one of my favorite books of the month!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sounds Like Titanic.

February 13, 2019 – Shelved