Katie B's Reviews > Natalie Tan's Book of Luck and Fortune

Natalie Tan's Book of Luck and Fortune by Roselle Lim

liked it
bookshelves: arc, first-to-read, california, fiction, food, read-in-2019

This was a cute story that worked quite well as a lazy Sunday afternoon read. And while the cultural aspects certainly enhanced the story, I do think some other elements fell flat in terms of providing substance. I guess what I'm trying to say is I didn't feel a meaningful connection to the main character and storyline as much as I assume the author was aiming for.

Natalie Tan left the San Francisco Chinatown neighborhood she grew up in with dreams of attending culinary school. Years later she returns after the death of her mother and is shocked to discover the neighborhood is falling apart with families leaving and businesses failing. Natalie has some animosity towards some of her mother's neighbors as she feels they provided no help in assisting her with her mother's agoraphobia. But with plans to reopen her grandmother's restaurant, she's going to need their help and she might get some assistance in ways she least expected.

I do love the role cooking and food played in the story. I've been very fortunate and have had the opportunity to travel to many different countries and some of my favorite memories are tied into all the delicious food I gotten to try. So it was cool to see how passionate the main character was about cooking and recognizing food really can feed your soul. While I did like the inclusion of recipes within the story and the notes that followed, I do think perhaps there were a few too many. I probably would have loved them though if measurements were provided rather than just ingredients and vague instructions. Regardless, the strengths of the story were for sure food and the cultural aspects.

I thought the story could have used some sprucing up as not everything felt fully developed. I almost wish Daniel would not have been included as there really weren't that many interactions with him so his presence didn't feel all that necessary. In general, this was a decent read but I wish there was a bit more here so this would have been a memorable read.

Thank you to First to Read for the opportunity to read an advance digital copy! I was under no obligation to post a review and all views expressed are my honest opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Natalie Tan's Book of Luck and Fortune.

February 13, 2019 – Shelved
April 1, 2019 – Shelved as: fiction
April 1, 2019 – Shelved as: food
April 1, 2019 – Shelved as: read-in-2019
April 1, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Great review, Katie! Glad you enjoyed it.

message 2: by Jayme (new)

Jayme Terrific review!

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Great review, Katie! I like how you balanced your critique with what you liked about it!

Katie B Michelle wrote: "Great review, Katie! I like how you balanced your critique with what you liked about it!"

Jayme wrote: "Terrific review!"

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* wrote: "Great review, Katie! Glad you enjoyed it."

Thanks Michelle, Jayme, and Mary Beth!