Bryn Hammond's Reviews > The Book of Dede Korkut

The Book of Dede Korkut by Anonymous

bookshelves: epic-and-romance, website-widget

'Dirse Khan came home. He called to his wife, "Come here, luck of my head, throne of my house, my sugar-melon, my honey-melon."'

'great sorrow came over his wife; her black almond eyes filled with bloody tears'

'the boy gave the bull a merciless punch on the forehead and the bull went sliding on his rump'

'Dirse Khan took up his strong bow, strung with wolf-sinew'

'you will not die of this wound. The flowers of the mountain with your mother's milk will be salve for it.'

'Water has looked on the face of God. I shall ask this stream for news.'

'Lady Burla the Tall overheard this, and fire fell on her heart and soul'

'Alas for my falcon, quivering in my fist!'

'In those days the nobles' blessings were blessings and their curses were curses, and their prayers used to be answered.'

'Three times he kissed her, once he bit her.'

'Among the Oghuz nobles, lying was unknown; they believed him and wept.'

'I shall not call you 'horse' but 'brother', and better than any brother. 'There's work to be done, comrade,' I shall say - and better than any comrade.'

'With your proud swaggering walk, your lion-like stance, your intent gaze, you are so like my brother Beyrek, minstrel.'

'The Black Lord was felled by a blow from Wild Dundar's sword, Kara Budak felled the Black Lion King.'

'The Lady Burla the Tall aimed a blow of her sword at the infidels' black standard and brought it down.'

'make his soul yelp and bring it here.'

'Now the infidel King of Trebizond had a mightily beautiful and beloved daughter. She used to draw two bows at once, to her right and to her left. The arrow she shot never fell to earth.'

'Wherever dust is falling and swirling, wherever the crow and raven are dancing, there shall I seek him.'

'Warrior, nonchalantly cutting off heads, warrior, attacking my enemy without so much as a by-your-leave, what warrior are you?'

'My strong white-gripped bow, which I bought at the price of a stallion; my twisted string, which I bought at the price of a bull.'

'who weeps blood if for three days running he does not see an enemy'

'They withdrew to a place apart, they clung together, they who had longed for each other talked together and howled together like wolves of the wilderness.'

'Armour is known by its jangling as meat is known by its seething.'

'My left eye wept at the awesome sight.'

'One day Salur Kazan son of Ulash, lion of heroes, chick of the long-plumed bird, hope of the wretched and the helpless, prop of forsaken warriors, marshal of the teeming Oghuz, foe of Kan Abkaz, master of the chesnut horse, brother of Kara Gone, uncle of Kara Budak, father of Khan Uraz, rose up from his place.'

'The boy inquired, "What is the meaning of 'enemy'?" Kazan replied, "My son, the meaning of 'enemy' is the people whom we kill when we catch them, and when they catch us they kill us."'

'"I see, my son," said Kanli Koja, "you don't want a girl; you want a dare-devil hero to look after you, and you can eat and drink and be merry." "That is so, my dear father," he replied, "but you'll go and get me some pretty dressed-up doll of a Turcoman girl, whose belly will split if I should suddenly lean over and fall on her." "Son," said Kanli Koja, "finding the girl is up to you."'

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Dede Korkut.

Finished Reading