megs_bookrack's Reviews > Red, White & Royal Blue

Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston

bookshelves: 2019-releases, ya-contemporary-to-read, arcs-to-read

Alex Claremont-Diaz, First Son of the United States, is making his way through college and busy plotting his own future career in politics.

He already has years of experience working on various campaigns and it is truly where he sees his life going. Along with his sister and best friend, they navigate the D.C. social scene like it's their job; and it kind of is.

We all know I love politics and political strategy in books, so right off the bat, I'm all like...

But Alex still has some growing up to do. As he should, he's in his early-20s, y'all! Give the boy a break. So he still parties a bit too hard, hooks up with various people who are then forced to sign ND agreements and feuds with foreign dignitaries. Relatable.

Alex's biggest rival, in his eyes, is Prince Henry. Henry is all sorts of swoony, totally exuding a Prince Charming vibe but Alex sees him as a bore and his #1 enemy. When an incident between Alex and Henry occurs at a royal wedding, the boys are forced to pretend to be friends in order to save face.

Alex would rather do pretty much anything else. Unfortunately, his wants are fairly inconsequential at this point, and so begins the relationship that will melt you; heart, body and soul.

If you are reading this, I am sure you already know what this book entails. It is getting so much hype right now and for good reason. A mainstream title that is a humorous and steamy New Adult romance, featuring a male/male, enemies-to-lovers relationship? This is basically the book the world has been waiting for. And let's be honest, it's a book the world needs.

I personally was swept away from the very first pages. It is so fun. Pure fun on the page but also thoughtful in its presentation. I truly feel this is ground-breaking and we will all be talking about it for years to come.

McQuiston did such a great job of making this so contemporary and natural without in any way feeling forced. The dialogue was super believable and the storyline provided a lot of food for thought.

I have heard a few people mention that it is too optimistic?? To me, I didn't really think so. It is a happy story overall but our characters have struggles just like real people. As Alex and Henry both grapple with their sexuality and what that means in terms of their lives, what their family's response will be, what the world's response will be...they really struggled with that. They had hard decisions to make, just like in real life.

As far as the overall outcome, I think we needed a book like this. (view spoiler)

I applaud Casey for writing this. I think this will mean a heck of a lot to a lot of people and McQuiston is definitely on my list of autobuy authors after this spectacular debut! Bravo!

Thank you so much to the publisher, St. Martin's Press, for providing me with a copy of this to read and review. I always appreciate the opportunity. I think this will be making a lot of reader's 'Best of 2019' lists!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red, White & Royal Blue.

February 12, 2019 – Shelved
February 12, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
February 12, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019-releases
February 12, 2019 – Shelved as: ya-contemporary-to-read
May 11, 2019 – Started Reading
May 11, 2019 – Shelved as: arcs-to-read
May 12, 2019 –
30.0% "...the hype is so real..."
May 15, 2019 –
34.0% "Oh. Damn.
It getting hot in here...

"
May 16, 2019 –
May 19, 2019 –
50.0% "Oh my, my, my.

"
May 23, 2019 –
May 24, 2019 –
May 27, 2019 –
74.0% "Oh, shit. Alex's Mother making me cry...😭😭😭"
88.0% ""
May 28, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by Dita (new)

Dita Have fun!

megs_bookrack Dita wrote: "Have fun!"
Soooo flipping excited! (and currently rearranging my entire March TBR) ;)

message 3: by Dita (new)

Dita That image!! 😂😂

megs_bookrack Dita wrote: "That image!! 😂😂"
Literally me and this book this morning...

Sahitya Awesome review !!!

megs_bookrack Sahitya wrote: "Awesome review !!!"Thank you so much, Sahitya! I appreciate your kindness 🥰

message 7: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Valentine Excellent review meg!💖💋

megs_bookrack Kat wrote: "Excellent review meg!💖💋" Thank you, love! xo

message 9: by Meg (new) - added it

Meg (fairy.bookmother) I can't wait to read this!! I love this review!

megs_bookrack Meg wrote: "I can't wait to read this!! I love this review!" Thank you so much, Meg! 🥰 I hope you love it!