Diane Van Tassell's Reviews > You Know When the Men Are Gone

F 50x66
Feb 02, 2012

liked it
Read in February, 2012

Though I really dislike short stories, I think this is an important book for everyone to read. Our soldiers are away from home fighting and dying for our freedoms and way of life, and we should understand what it takes for them to do this. We think we know what sacrifices that these soldiers and their families are making but we don't really understand how deep these sacrifices are for everyone involved. Usually the deployed soldiers are our main concern but this book helps us to understand that every member of that family is effected by this- whether it is the wife who struggles with having her husband gone for months or years on end, or the wife who has to live with the man who comes home a different person because of the war, or the child who doesn't see their father for a long time.

Reading this book helps us to get a better feeling for the ravages of war on everyone involved- whether directly or indirectly. It is so easy for us who are not effected to think that America should be the world's policeman. But it is better for us to understand the real price of this on our fellow Americans.

I still don't like short stories because they don't have a nice and tidy ending. But then I guess that is the true nature of reality.

I hope more people will read this book so that they will better understand the price of war.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Know When the Men Are Gone.