Kristina's Reviews > Raising Freethinkers: A Practical Guide for Parenting Beyond Belief

Raising Freethinkers by Dale McGowan

Feb 02, 2012

Read in February, 2012

This book has made me cry several times. Cry with validation and peace. Insider secret; I read this book for myself more than for my potential future-parenting. I wanted to understand some basics of freethinking, as I was raised religiously and no longer adhere to those beliefs. I wondered how to approach death, life, being surrounded by religion that I don't believe in, having religious relatives, etc. I read this book as much for helping me on my newly agnostic journey as I did for feeling more secure about raising a child as an agnostic parent. How would I replace religion in my future parenting? I have so many wonderful, peace-giving, loving ideas in my head now for raising *hopefully* a child who is a realist, who understands myth when they hear/see it, and who experiences each day for what it is - a beautiful opportunity to see and experience another day.

This book gives excellent suggestions for laying your boundaries as a parent of freethinkers when it comes to having religious influences in your children's lives while encouraging your children's religious literacy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raising Freethinkers.

04/23/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer What a great review! Thank you for sharing that :) I have seen this book and wanted to read it for the same reasons. I'm glad to see that it helped you gain some insight and direction for your life journey :)