Soumi's Reviews > Oppression

Oppression by Jessica Therrien

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult, books-i-reviewed, arc-e-galley, mythology

Destiny is not easy to run from. No matter what path you choose it will lead you to the point you are supposed to meet.

A Short Overview

Elyse has been keeping a secret for her whole life, one she ages five times slower than an ordinary person; second she has incredible power to heal. After death of her parents she became more careful to hide her secrets until a mysterious guy William showed up on her door and told her she’s not only the one with secret, there are many other like her with different abilities of their own. They called themselves The Decedents, coming down from the bloodlines of Greek gods, and Elyse’s power is most important of them all, her blood can give life as well as take it. But that’s not make her most remarkable and wanted, Elyse was the last healer and carrier of a prophecy that can change everything, put an end to the tradition, bring a war and may cause many deaths.

Myths and mayhems, Oppression is a brilliant combination of both. A detailed storyline and nice flow in plot, you don’t need to know about the history of Greek Gods in order to read the book. Romance and secrets, this book keeps me hooked up till the very end and now I’m nearly dying to read the second installment.
Fascinating characters with incredible power you can only imagine, the author made a great attempt to create them and I’m fully impressed.

Elyse and William

One has the power of healing and another with persuasion, one is naïve another is confident, Elyse and William was truly soul mates.
I must say Elyse was a very brave character; it was not easy to grow up slowing and watching rest of the world moving fast around her. Though she learned and accepted the truth, it must have hard for to endure the pain of watching people she cared suffer, age and die. When she entered to the world of myths, magic and power, she began to understand inner struggle for freedom from those who claims themselves most superior, descendent of most powerful gods of first generation and Elyse faces the choice and sacrifice that could change her life as well as people around her, the people she loves and cares.
William remained me of the song “Safe and Sound”, cause I, myself felt very safe in his presence. I must say he was a true descendent of Aphrodite, and he was very successful to hold me under his charm and green eyes, which have always been my weakness. William was what every hero should be; I enjoyed his loving and caring nature as well as his feisty and drive to protect Elyse from anything that would threaten her.
Budding romance and intense bonding between William and Elyse pleased me. William has been in love with Elyse since the beginning; know that this girl is going to be his bride someday, where Elyse took time to know him and fall in love which was very believable and I admired their romance.

Mythology has always been one of my favorite genres but Oppression opened up a new direction about gods and goddess that how power hungry and dangerous they can be if someone tries to cross them. Only Elyse is the key to brave new world and a new sunshine.

Easy to read but very intriguing, Oppression is a different from conventional adaption of mythology.
I was flipping pages to see what was going to happen next. Right from the start, I enjoyed Oppression and can’t wait for the second installment of the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oppression.

February 2, 2012 – Shelved
February 21, 2012 –
page 205
February 21, 2012 –
page 205
60.47% "so many secrets, myths are always favorite"
February 21, 2012 – Shelved as: young-adult
February 21, 2012 – Finished Reading
March 1, 2012 – Shelved as: books-i-reviewed
March 19, 2012 – Shelved as: arc-e-galley
April 24, 2012 – Shelved as: mythology

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

Nobonita - The Bengali Nomad Sounds a bit like a more mature version of the percy jackson series.But I'll
check it out. :)

Soumi Nobonita wrote: "Sounds a bit like a more mature version of the percy jackson series.But I'll
check it out. :)"

Not exactly Percy Jackson..pretty different from that, mixture of dystopian and mythology, i guess

message 3: by Nobonita - The Bengali Nomad (last edited Mar 01, 2012 11:24PM) (new) - added it

Nobonita - The Bengali Nomad Oh okay. :)
That does sound interesting
But I've got to admit, that's one killer cover! ;)

Soumi Yeah pretty girls on cover always make things interesting to look on, but sexy boys aren't bad either.

Nobonita - The Bengali Nomad totally ;D!!!!

Soumi Yeah like Iron Knight

Nobonita - The Bengali Nomad hehehe!!!!! Loved Ash's eyes.....ahhhhh so breathtakingly beautiful

message 8: by Soumi (last edited Mar 02, 2012 04:28AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Soumi I'm hoping to see William on next cover and I bet he will be yummy XD

message 9: by Sudipa (new) - added it

Sudipa Bera Looks like you got anoter crush..

Nobonita - The Bengali Nomad hahaha!!!!Somebody's in looooooovvveeeeeeeee!!! :)

Soumi Ha ha, I have been in love with many of my book boyfriends, as more as you can count, William is the new addition in the list along with Duval from Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1) by R.L. LaFevers

Nobonita - The Bengali Nomad hahaha,I have my book boyfriends too! :)

Soumi We all does darling