Clare O'Beara's Reviews > In the Blink of an Eye

In the Blink of an Eye by Walter Murch

bookshelves: british-fact, college, i-t, memoir, non-fiction

Well written and this is the second edition, although as the author knew would happen, film production has moved on fast.

This tells how an editor makes choices and cuts film - originally a physical cut - and how machines used to be large, noisy and heavy but have moved to be computers.

We are told to bear in mind that seeing a film on a big screen is more immersive than seeing it on a two foot wide screen, and more detail will be seen in a big picture; at the same time, readily available screen time means that people can watch a film over and again, seeing new nuances and character aspects.

This is very interesting for those studying how the mechanics of film making have changed. Analogue to digital. Speed is important in a big budget film. Apparently a question asked when hiring an editor is 'how fast do they work?'

However, some things won't change, such as an orderly process for film editing, backing up copies, choosing a good cut. The author points out that people watching something intently don't blink, but people changing their mind, submitting, or holding conflicting thoughts, blink rapidly. We can blink as we move our line of sight, seeing a different picture as the eye opens. He suggests that we accepted film right from the start because it was like blinking.

I borrowed this book from the Dublin Business School Library. This is an unbiased review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Blink of an Eye.

February 12, 2019 – Started Reading