Kavya | aworldinpages's Reviews > Tarikshir: The Awakening

Tarikshir by Khayaal Patel

liked it

Tarikshir is a debut by the author Khayaal Patel. The story is told from the point of view of Rudra, our protagonist, who is a young prince of Devangarh, a small princely state in Rajasthan which also happens to be the last bastion of resistance against the might of the British empire. While unrest surrounding the sudden death of the king of Devangarh grows, young prince Rudra Pratap Chauhan prepares to ascend the throne.

But the kingdom is in turmoil. The Devangarh army is outnumbered and the British forces are closing in. To make matters worse, Rudra discovers the king’s death may not have been accidental after all. The strange appearance and disappearance of a mysterious hooded stranger and a series of ritualistic murders in which the bodies have been drained of blood, spread panic across the realm. As Rudra struggles to manage his new responsibilities and investigate his father’s death, dark secrets will be uncovered that will disrupt life as he knows it.
🐾
The theme revolves around the age old triumph of good over evil and also showcases the strength of hope and belief in oneself. While it takes you some time to immerse into the historical world and the large cast of characters, once the environment tenses, it doesn't give you a chance to relax and takes you on one wild ride after another.
🐾
Rudra's character which even though goes through a development over the short span of time and while I understand he's still young and inexperienced in a lot of ways, I wasn't impressed with him as the central character. I would've enjoyed the book more had he been a tad bit stronger and sure of himself.
🐾
The writing is simple, clear and fluid. It is also very concise and I don't remember coming across unwanted sentences or descriptions anywhere—something which I always appreciate.
🐾
The book didn't blow me away but it did keep me guessing and semi-curious throughout. I certainly appreciate the vivid imagination of the author and the way he has amalgamated historical and mythological elements.
And if the aforementioned jumble of words sounds like something you enjoy in a book, do give it a chance!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tarikshir.

February 11, 2019 – Started Reading