Asha Seth's Reviews > The Forest of Enchantments

The Forest of Enchantments by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni

bookshelves: 2019, indian-lit, fantasy, mythology

It is seldom I rate a book 5 stars. But when I do, I ensure it is absolutely deserving of it.
The FoE is the tragic story of one of the most revered women of Indian mythologies - Sita. The queen who was tried despite her unwavering love and loyalty. The daughter who was abandoned by parents, and much cruelly, by the husband.
It's been a while I have read anything so absorbing. It is not just the epic saga that is overwhelmingly engaging, but equally beautiful is the writing. It is as though, the goddess herself was guiding the author's pen; for such a spell, as I experienced, can only be cast by the power of divine.
The only other book I'd read from the author was 'Oleander Girl' and I found it to be good; if not fantastic. So, with 'Forest of Enchantments', the preference just got notches up, and next on my list is
'A Palace of Illusions'. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forest of Enchantments.

February 11, 2019 – Shelved
February 11, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
February 14, 2019 – Started Reading
February 14, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019
February 14, 2019 – Shelved as: indian-lit
February 14, 2019 – Shelved as: fantasy
February 14, 2019 – Shelved as: mythology
February 16, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Neerja Joshi You giving it 5stars, makes me wanna read this book soon :D

Asha Seth Neerja wrote: "You giving it 5stars, makes me wanna read this book soon :D"

It's a work of sheer beauty and so poetic is the prose, that the narration will stay with you long after you've finished reading the book; let alone the moving story which is probably, a part of every Indian's life; kid or adult.

Neerja Joshi wow thats a beautiful description :) looking forward to reading it :)