Stephanie Anze's Reviews > The Vanishing Year

The Vanishing Year by Kate Moretti

liked it
bookshelves: fiction

Zoe Whittaker has it all: charming husband, penthouse apartment, designer clothes, and a lavish lifestyle that includes vacations in faraway places. Zoe is part of the elite and sits behind charitable organizations. She seems to have a fairytale life but that was not always the case. Five years ago Zoe had a completely different life and a different identity. Zoe ran away from her past, a past that seems to be creeping back up again. Is her fairytale life too good to be true?

Seeking a change in scenery, I set my sights upon this domestic thriller. The overall plot is one that is quite familiar: woman leaves behind troubled past, starts a new life, thinks said past is behind her only to have it disrupt her new life and force a final confrontation. Zoe leads a charmed life now but she has a secret past. When Henry Whittaker begins to woe Zoe, she thinks she can stop looking over her shoulder. After a rushed romance, Zoe marries Henry and becomes Mrs. Whittaker. She begins to don designer clothing and diamonds, goes on lavish vacations, lives in luxury and does not have to worry about money anymore. More than anything, Zoe value her security. Its quite the dream until it is not. Incidents start to happen and slowly Zoe's past comes back to hunt her. I found this book entertaining and well written. The pace at which the details unraveled was suspenful. I have to say, though, that certain elements were obvious. The person whom I suspected from the start (of being the villain) ended up being the villain. Same goes for the 'knight in shining armour'. Still, I enjoyed the unraveling of the narrative and appreciate that the author did not give a neatly tied-up ending. All and all, a good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vanishing Year.

February 11, 2019 – Started Reading
February 11, 2019 – Shelved
February 13, 2019 –
page 25
February 24, 2019 – Finished Reading
February 25, 2019 – Shelved as: fiction

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Brandice (new) - added it

Brandice Nice review, Stephanie! I have this on my TBR list and wondered if it would be a bit predictable, but am still curious enough :)

Stephanie Anze Thanks Brandice! Its not a bad book by any stretch but it is somewhat predictable. Still an entertaining read though.