Steven Gaskin's Reviews > Bringing Up Bébé: One American Mother Discovers the Wisdom of French Parenting

Bringing Up Bébé by Pamela Druckerman

There's a lot to filter out in this book - specifically, the author's lack of objectivity, considering that she appears to live in a manner to which most people do not have the financial means to aspire - but the core ideas she's captured from her experiences in Paris are very useful for parents struggling to raise their children with discipline and manners without resorting to shouting. I was looking for some tools to communicate with and educate my son, as at 3 and a half, he's becoming increasingly wilful and reluctant to listen. I knew I was getting locked into cycles of behaviour that were frustrating us both, but the core ideas in this book - coupling respect for your child's freedom to experiment and learn, with absolute authority on key issues - are already helping.

Kindle Format: near-perfect, although the default font size was smaller than I'm used to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bringing Up Bébé.

February 2, 2012 – Started Reading
February 2, 2012 – Shelved
February 16, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Donnie Marsh I'm going to include this in my review, with credit of course. It sums what I felt.

message 2: by Sylvia (new) - added it

Sylvia "There's a lot to filter out in this book - specifically, the author's lack of objectivity, considering that she appears to live in a manner to which most people do not have the financial means to aspire " - indeed. Like when she says: we liked this and that apartment so we just bought it... Just like that! How many people are actually able to do that? Oh well. Nice to read how easy it is for some people. I'm not being resentful, just noticing that her point of view is largely influenced by her financial position which also includes the facility to hire nannies, again - a luxury for some.